Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Nov '12 19:56
    Saw this game at Chess.com. White is the definition of unorthodox here, with an unusual opening, and an odd way of getting black's king vulnerable; check the way White skips obvious captures in favor of position.

M. Botvinnik vs. V. Chekhover (Annotations not mine).

2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Nov '12 20:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    Saw this game at Chess.com. White is the definition of unorthodox here, with an unusual opening, and an odd way of getting black's king vulnerable; check the way White skips obvious captures in favor of position.

M. Botvinnik vs. V. Chekhover (Annotations not mine).

[pgn][Date "1935.??.??"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RN ...[text shortened]... 38.Qf5+ Kc6 39.d5+ Kc5 40.Ba3+ Kxc4 41.Qe4+ Kc3 42.Bb4+ Kb2 43.Qb1#
    1-0[/pgn]
    White thinks differently from me, for I would have finished the game with 42.Re3+ Kd2 43.Qd3#. I did not even see the other mating idea. I believe I would have done other things differently too.
  3. Standard member hunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    22 Nov '12 21:18 / 1 edit
    I would also have done things differently to the 3 time world champion.

Fantastic game. If you took the name off the white side I reckon most people would say it's one of Tal's.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Nov '12 21:32 / 2 edits
    The rook sac on move 32 was very creative.
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Nov '12 21:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    The rook sac on move 32 was very creative.
    I thought of that idea back on move 28, but the Knight on d7 stood in the way. I would have played 34.Ba3+ instead of what he did.
  6. 23 Nov '12 04:27
    I haven't looked... but if my long term memory is correct that game is one of the games in Chernev's "The Russian's Play Chess". I remember being greatly impressed by the game at the time. The book is also a great book. It has diagrams every 5-10 moves so it is useful to go over the games without the use of a chess board. I don't know if it will work for other folks but studying like that helped improve my ability to visualize during OTB games.