Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member rking00
    Suicide Bishop
    12 Aug '09 06:18
    I was looking through Benoni games in the GM database and found this stunner. If you can see the winning continuation without using an engine, then I am truly amazed. 14...Nxc3!! What is almost as amazing to me is that white knew he was lost only a few moves later. Again, a truly mind-blowing game for someone like me who is just starting out. I imagine you stronger players will get much more out of it than I.

2. 12 Aug '09 07:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rking00
    [b]I was looking through Benoni games in the GM database and found this stunner. If you can see the winning continuation without using an engine, then I am truly amazed. 14...Nxc3!! What is almost as amazing to me is that white knew he was lost only a few moves later. Again, a truly mind-blowing game for someone like me who is just starting out. I imagine you s , Alexander"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "2285"]
    [BlackElo "2490"]
    [ECO "D94"]
    Ah great. I could see only the next two moves. A check usually follows a sac. Gotta keep 'em runnin'. By the way, when did you start out? Playing chess, that is.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    12 Aug '09 16:28
    Originally posted by rking00
    I was looking through Benoni games in the GM database and found this stunner. If you can see the winning continuation without using an engine, then I am truly amazed. 14...Nxc3!! What is almost as amazing to me is that white knew he was lost only a few moves later. Again, a truly mind-blowing game for someone like me who is just starting out. I imagine you s ...[text shortened]... c3 15.Rxd8 Nxe2+
    16.Kf1 Rfxd8 17.Kxe2 b6 18.Be3 Nc4 19.Qxe7 Bd3+ 0-1 [/pgn]
    I would not call this a sacrifice. Black got a Rook, minor piece and a pawn for the Queen - he broke even on material. He ended up with a big lead in development, and white's King exposed. For a GM, this was truly a no-brainer.
  4. 12 Aug '09 17:38
    Well, why the hell did he take the d2 knight and not the a5 ?

I feel like white won,t have an easy game, playing with a queen and a knight, when black has more, two bishop a knight and a rook, soon two rooks.

The c1 bishop is not doing much and the a1 rook is like an absent piece, what on earth is it doing there ?
  5. 13 Aug '09 03:00
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    Well, why the hell did he take the d2 knight and not the a5 ?

I feel like white won,t have an easy game, playing with a queen and a knight, when black has more, two bishop a knight and a rook, soon two rooks.

The c1 bishop is not doing much and the a1 rook is like an absent piece, what on earth is it doing there ?
    Perhaps if he took on a5, black would've played Be6