1. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:018 edits
    This game was featured in The Times chess column this week. If you're not already familiar with it, you might enjoy it - I thought it was superb. The annotations are as published by Ray Keene.

2. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 23:53
    nice game

I think black must have been a box to calculate all that (I'm joking, ok ? JOKING)....
  3. In attack
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 00:511 edit
    Amazing, because it would have been necessary to have calculated up until the end of the game when the Queen was sacced (including the double threats of Bf8# and Rh5# which clinched it).
    Awesome 🙂
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 07:52
    Part Byrne v. Fischer 1963/4 and part some game(s) where a king is made to walk the plank.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 03:064 edits
    I don't get it. Couldn't white have simply moved his rook, thereby preventing mate by black's rook? The same goes for moving the knight or the pawn.
  6. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 03:19
    Bf8mate
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:08
    I don't see what you mean. The apears (to me) far from mate. Definitely a bad position for white, but I just don't see a forced mate here.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:081 edit
    I don't see what you mean. This apears (to me) far from mate. Definitely a bad position for white, but I just don't see a forced mate here.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    I don't see what you mean. This apears (to me) far from mate. Definitely a bad position for white, but I just don't see a forced mate here.
    ???

in the final position bf8 is mate, white cant stop it
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:20
    Originally posted by vivify
    Perhaps you are looking at a board at home where the pieces are set up in error.

If you refer to the original game score in the original post, black's last move in the game is ...Re5, and there is nothing white can do to prevent black's planned next move, which will be ...Bf8 mate.

In the immortal words of Bill Paxton, "Game over, man, game over!"
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:26
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Perhaps you are looking at a board at home where the pieces are set up in error.

If you refer to the original game score in the original post, black's last move in the game is ...Re5, and there is nothing white can do to prevent black's planned next move, which will be ...Bf8 mate.

In the immortal words of Bill Paxton, "Game over, man, game over!"
    Oh wait, I see it now. I was looking at mate with the rook instead of the bishop. bf8 = bishop to last rank.

Sorry guys, I'm still getting the hang of chess notation. I apologize, and thank you for your help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree