1. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 21:382 edits
    Do you know it? The Amazon is a Q that can move like a N. Have you played it? Do you know anything about it? I heard it used to be popular some time ago in Russia. I'm interested in everything you know: solvedness, prospects of solving, opening theory, winning percentages, history, endgame theory. Of course if these things do really exist. Or maybe it's too much unbalanced to be played seriously? It's hard to find anything in the web. Google gives many references to this: http://www.amazon-chess.com/ which I find very cute, but unfortunately the program can't play chess...

I found a great server (brainking.com) where one can play a really great number of chess variants including this. But I think this one is quite unpopular, as I had problems finding an opponent. Dark chess seems to enjoy some popularity and I find it very nice too.
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 13:50
    I tried downloading the demo of amazon chess and would advise staying away from it.
    The demo only gives you 2 mins playing time and then locks up without allowing you to close the program or switch away.
    I was forced to reboot. Bad program!

Phil.
  3. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 14:042 edits
    i don't know what program you mean? that program that I mentioned is just nothing - it can't play chess at all. The only thing that links it to the topic of the thread is the name.
    I was asking about a chess variant where you allow queens to move like knights. Such a piece is called Amazon or Superqueen.
  4. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 14:31
    The link you gave to amazon-chess.com takes you to a splash page for a computer chess program. Theres a link to download a demo.
    Essentially its normal chess, but with busty amazons substituted for pieces.
    It sort of pretends that they fight ala battle chess, but they don't.
    Its just a way to get really confused as to which piece is which.
    Plus, the whole two minute demo and locking everything up.

If you want chess, there's better options. If you want scanty-clad ladies, I'm led to believe that such things can be found on the Internet.
    Nothing really of value at this site, in my view.

Phil.
  5. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 14:44
    oh, please, stop talking about this program, i've never mentioned it!! It was just a silly joke. I start to think that my english is really bad...

All I want is Superqueen chess. If you happen to know anything please tell me. To be clear: it's not chess. The rules are changed. Queen can move like a queen AND like a knight.
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 15:08
    Well, in that case masniak, I apologize.
    I hadn't understood your joke, and took your request for more information on the program at face value.
    My only intention is to put off anyone else that is thinking of downloading that very bad program. Nobody else needs to make that mistake.

I know nothing about amazon chess, but I do hope someone else here can help you.

Phil.
  7. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 15:23
    Apparently you can play this here

http://brainking.com/en/GameRules?tp=58
  8. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 15:32
    I know that! I did already say that... In the first post... No-one understands me 🙁 I play some games there already but there are few players eager to fight me there.
    My question was: do you know anything about the variant?
  9. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 15:44
    Originally posted by masniak
    I know that! I did already say that... In the first post... No-one understands me 🙁 I play some games there already but there are few players eager to fight me there.
    My question was: do you know anything about the variant?
    Woops.Right,pardon my stupidity 😛

So the queen combines the moves of queen and knight,the rest is as in regular chess.
    What else is there to know?
  10. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 15:511 edit
    well, there's much more to know about chess then how pieces move I thought? Why should it be otherwise in this case?

I'm interested in everything you know: solvedness, prospects of solving, opening theory, winning percentages, history, endgame theory. Of course if these things do really exist. Or maybe it's too much unbalanced to be played seriously? It's hard to find anything in the web.
  11. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 16:11
    Originally posted by masniak
    well, there's much more to know about chess then how pieces move I thought? Why should it be otherwise in this case?

I'm interested in everything you know: solvedness, prospects of solving, opening theory, winning percentages, history, endgame theory. Of course if these things do really exist. Or maybe it's too much unbalanced to be played seriously? It's hard to find anything in the web.
    Before this thread I had not heard of it so I cannot help you.

If it was popular in russia,as you said,then perhaps a few people there have created the beginnings of opening theory.Seems impossible to find out though
  12. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 21:06
    you're probably right, sadly.
  13. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 23:43
    Calling the combined R+B+N superpiece an Amazon doesn't work for me, since it apparently refers to the fabled tribe of female warriors in South America. That doesn't fit in with the other pieces since they are named after the various titles of European nobility. Maybe "Empress" would be better.

And it makes me think of amazon.com as well.
  14. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 00:582 edits
    you're right I think but the name is given in wikipedia, which probably means it's gonna survive forever [i'm a wikipedia believer 🙂 ].
    My early thoughts are that king's safety is of even more importance than in chess here. Superqueen can checkmate the king alone so aggresive attacks are probably more likely to succeed. I think that pieces' relative values are lowered simply so there must be more sound sacs. On the other hand the Amazon has great defensive power so it can be hard to catch the king in his castle. And after Empresses' exchange we get normal chess (almost - the pawns can promote to Amazons).

Just my guesses.
  15. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 04:37
    The first thing that I thought of is that this would mean the queen can mate by itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree