1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 10:56
    Game 4381596

Clearly I was doing well until I lost it by ninja checkmate. Where were the mistakes and missed combinations? How would one force the win assuming one doesn't let the enemy get a free mate as I did?
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 11:261 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Game 4381596

Clearly I was doing well until I lost it by ninja checkmate. Where were the mistakes and missed combinations? How would one force the win assuming one doesn't let the enemy get a free mate as I did?
    WIth a quick glance I can tell you that you should have tried a queen side pawn storm and once you got the material advantage there really wasn't any point in going up gobbling pawns. I think what you lacked was a definte plan.

Edit: And normally on the Saemisch variation white goes for a king side pawn storm so delay castling on the king side doesn't seem like a bad idea. On Winning chess Openings Seirawan gives as best line the e5 pawn push before castling and even if white goes for the exchange variation a no castled king is safer than a king side castled one.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 11:321 edit
    Game 4381596

By the way it was a Pirc Defence not a King's Indian 😉

For it to be a KID White has to have played c4
  4. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:061 edit
    Game 4381596

You were up a piece, why worry about trying to force the win or look for elaborate combinations? The simplest and safest approach to that end would have been to exchange pieces and stifle counterplay. Then win the ending. To that end, the first step was getting your Q out of the pin. One method might have been 11... Nxe4 with a pair of discoveries, which (I think) should continue: 12. Qxg7+ Kxg7 13. Bxd8 Nf2 14. Bh4 Nxh1 15. Ne2 Ne5 and black is just winning easily. After the eventual Rxh1 black is up the exchange, his K is safe, he has lots of counterplay, and the Qs are off. Easy 0-1.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:15
    Game 4381596

forcing the win is easy...you just play the best moves 😉
  6. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    forcing the win is easy...you just play the best moves 😉
    You don't need to play the best moves when you're up a whole piece. Its enough to simplify while avoiding getting checkmated. That's where people run into trouble when up material (especially OTB when their clock is ticking away). They spend so much energy looking for a pretty or forcing continuation that they allow themselves to be swindled (as in here) and lose their won game. Part of improving is learning to be practical.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree