1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Nov '11 22:584 edits
    A Modern Defense, with a nod to the King's Indian.

This is the final round game from an OTB tournament I played in last Saturday, the Daytona Beach Chess Club Open. It was a small, 23 person affair, and I managed to score 3.5/4 for clear second place, in spite of being 11th seed.

The time control was game in 50 minutes, so the clock definitely played a factor from move one. I was actually proud of my play, until this morning when I went over it and realized both of us missed a simple two-mover right in the opening! I think we were both a little tired, and it showed.

I am at least happy that my endgame technique held up reasonably well with limited time on the clock!

I've been in a bit of a slump the last few years, mostly due to infrequent OTB play, and this is the first of a bunch of events I plan to play in over the next year.

It was one of my best results ever, in that I ended up with a 2196 performance rating, and I gained 101 points in the event (from 1723 to 1824), the most I have ever gained in a single tournament.

The funny thing is that I only had to draw the last round to get my entry fee back, and if my opponent had offered early before the game became complicated, I probably would have accepted! Once I was in the driver's seat and knew I could safely draw later in the game, any potential offer lost it's appeal.

2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 09:50
    nicely done. kudos on your result 🙂
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 12:05
    Congrats on the great result!
  4. e4
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 11:53
    Game 2998652 😕

Never mind this:

"I am at least happy that my endgame technique...." Cods Wallop.
    That was a piece on a plate.

Get in touch with the tournament organisers and give them their prize money back.
    Then pick up your book of one move tactcis, blow off the dust..... 😉
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 18:13
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    A Modern Defense, with a nod to the King's Indian.

This is the final round game from an OTB tournament I played in last Saturday, the Daytona Beach Chess Club Open. It was a small, 23 person affair, and I managed to score 3.5/4 for clear second place, in spite of being 11th seed.

The time control was game in 50 minutes, so the clock definitely pl ...[text shortened]... Ke5 Rd8 55. Ne3 Rc1 56. f4 Rxd1 57. Nxd1 Re8+ 58. Kd6 Re1 0-1[/pgn]
    54..Re8 looked pretty strong to me, very nice game! I think white really messed up letting you get your knights so centralised on third rank. Nice play. 😀
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 23:181 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Game 2998652 😕

Never mind this:

"I am at least happy that my endgame technique...." Cods Wallop.
    That was a piece on a plate.

Get in touch with the tournament organisers and give them their prize money back.
    Then pick up your book of one move tactcis, blow off the dust..... 😉
    I think I was partly blinded by book knowledge.

In Davies' book on the Modern he deomstrates the efficacy of ...f6 when white plays Bg5 in some positions. The move shocked me at first, but once I understood the idea behind it, it really appealed to me.

I think I just played it when the opportunity arose, and simply and blindly missed the tactic. One letter separates hero from zero!

I went to bed thinking I had successfully applied a new idea I had learned from a GM in a book, and it made me laugh the next day when I looked at it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree