1. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 13:38
    i want to ask something when i'm not sure i did a good move i analyse it whit a program like fritz i do this when i already moved. is this cheating, i learn a lot from it becouse you now youre mistake before the macht ends and in thath way i can remember better my mistakes in next matches please let me know something
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 13:39
    I'd delete that post if I were you!
  3. back in business
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 13:411 edit
    of course it is cheating. I think you should delete that post (edit it) as soon as possible. you know, those mods are soon here.

I see somebody already mentioned that.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 14:36
    Originally posted by dragonpawn007
    i want to ask something when i'm not sure i did a good move i analyse it whit a program like fritz i do this when i already moved. is this cheating, i learn a lot from it becouse you now youre mistake before the macht ends and in thath way i can remember better my mistakes in next matches please let me know something
    sounds like cheating to me
  5. London
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 14:431 edit
    Fritz shows a line with several moves ahead and you might be able to make the suggested move or follow the line with your next move...so the computer is helping you in your game. Wait until the game has finished before you do any computer assisted analysis then you'll be within the rules for this site.

You might even have some irate opponent who you beat wanting their points back if they knew you had done this. From you're post however it seems as if you had no intention of cheating - and made a genuine inquiry to check....
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 14:48
    You are not allowed to consult a chess engine while a game is in progress! This is cheating.
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 14:563 edits
    Too late for him to edit it now. 😉

EDIT: Although it technically still is cheating, if a player checks the move after they made it, then it wouldn't really be an engine move. Therefore the mods wouldn't be able to find engine moves in their post analysis.

It still is cheating though because Fritz continued analysis can give inspiration for future moves (which, in turn, could provide the mods with future "engine" moves to initiate a ban).

Then again, are the mods allowed to 3(b) ban based on what is said in the forums? or is it strictly based on the game analysis?
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 15:451 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 15:551 edit
    Originally posted by lausey
    Then again, are the mods allowed to 3(b) ban based on what is said in the forums? or is it strictly based on the game analysis?
    the clause is about outside assistance, of which engine use is just a single aspect, and statistical analysis of the games one way to find out about that particular type of violation.
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 15:56
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Oh yes, remember the thread.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 14:12
    thanks i will wait till the games are done. and i on a rating of 1350 so my move is never the one from the engine so the one who lost deseved it in my opinion. i just thought i can learn from i but i like this site and don't want to be baned. if you dont beleve me you can play against me and check if i use a program and again sorry for the violation. thanks for the reactions
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 14:23
    Originally posted by dragonpawn007
    thanks i will wait till the games are done. and i on a rating of 1350 so my move is never the one from the engine so the one who lost deseved it in my opinion. i just thought i can learn from i but i like this site and don't want to be baned. if you dont beleve me you can play against me and check if i use a program and again sorry for the violation. thanks for the reactions
    Looking at your graph it doesn't look like you've prospered from looking at the engines analysis, but you wouldn't be the first person to get banned for making a public announcement like this, just so you know...
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 14:301 edit
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play

Considering it still causes confusion to some people, maybe it would be a good idea that it also emphasised that these cannot be used to even check opponent moves, or moves you have already played (where the game is still in progress).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree