1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 May '06 00:44
    i've got this proble....friend.

his name is h h heck hecktor. yeah hector.

hector isnt the best chess player in the world right, and he wants to know how to go about analysing his games to mmake his game better.

i . . .he can be inspired in his play, but his basic game is probably pretty naff. he sticks to the one formation that works, and it doe up to a point, but he has had no lessons, and only learned what a pawn storm was after joining this site.

Any tips from the big boys on how a minnow can up his game?
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    31 May '06 01:34
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

hector isnt the best chess player in the world right, and he wants to know how to go about analysing his games to mmake his game better.

i . . .he can be inspired in his play, but his basic game is probably pretty naff. he sticks to the one formation that works, ...[text shortened]... was after joining this site.

Stop fighting for Troy.
  3. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 May '06 03:346 edits
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

i . . .he can be inspired in his play, but his basic game is probably pretty naff. he sticks to the one formation that works, ...[text shortened]... was after joining this site.

i asked about the same question a few days back, one person said annotate your games, and rahimk posted this neat link mentioning that there were other good articles as well. http://www.tomrowan.com/chess/articles/books_as_coaches.html ive looked into it and there are alot of variations on this method, some dont use pencil and paper for example. it seems that analysing master games and annotating your own games seem to be the most reccomended ways to improve your game by top players. if you have a coach it can be usefull if he will go over your annotations and show you errors and such. silman in his reassess your chess workbook gives a few methods for study: a similar one to this one, fastly playing over some games and letting your subconsious mind learn a little, and playing over them slowly and examining the annotations. c.j.s. purdy(world correspondence chess champ. bobby fischer called him the best chess teacher i think.) said non of the greats got where they are without studying master games, even morphy. and went on to mention 1 person who hadnt had otb play in six years but every night found time ffor his hobby of playing over master games and so won a national open(ive edited this 3 times and it keeps erasing my edit.), and that good methods must yeild good results, and the reason the good results are so few is that so few practice the methods. ive just started this method and needles to say im excited about it. might also take a look at the fischers laboratory article on the site. and it might be wise(not sure.) to get a general strategy book and read that first, so you can get more from annotations and the method.
  4. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 May '06 04:171 edit
    after realising i assumed you ment studying games instead of studying you own games i tryd to add that a person mentioned annotating your own games. but apparently i cant have the edit: so he went on to win a national open, and the edit, someone suggested annotating your own games, without one edit being erased, so im posting both in this new post in case the edit that remained soon gets erased as well, grrr. edit: oh great, now the edits show up again, i give up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree