Analysis help

Analysis help

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
03 Feb 13
1 edit

Yesterday I played in my first OTB tournament in several years. I had good result - 3 wins and a loss - but I was hoping someone could help me analyse the loss.
Here it is (I'm white):

Here I stopped notating in time trouble, and unfortunately I can't quite remember the remaining moves.
Basically I was able to trade into a rook endgame a pawn down, and despite my best efforts to hold, lost it around move 65.
But I'm concerned mainly with the beginning of the game. Black's 11...Qxb2 just seems wrong on so many levels. The pawn has to be poisoned! I was really surprised that he took it to begin with, because it seemed like something a human chess player who has seen queens get trapped after taking the b2 pawn just wouldn't do.
I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to punish the audacious pawn grab, but obviously it didn't work. I guess Qxb2 was correct psychologically, at least.
Can anyone see any way I could have capitalized on the misplaced queen?

t

Moves
03 Feb 13
3 edits

Originally posted by Kareemelbadry
Yesterday I played in my first OTB tournament in several years. I had good result - 3 wins and a loss - but I was hoping someone could help me analyse the loss.
Here it is (I'm white):

[pgn]
1. e4 b6 2. Nc3 Bb7 3. Nf3 e6 4. d4 Bb4 5. Bd3 Nf6 6. Bg5 h6 7. Bxf6 Qxf6
8. O-O O-O 9. Qe2 Nc6 10. d5 exd5 11. Nxd5 Qxb2 12. Rfb1 Qa3 13. Rb3 Qa5
14. Nxc7 cally, at least.
12. a3 seems to win the bishop at least by taking away the queens only escape square and threatening to take the bishop and play 12. Rfb1 at the same time so the pawn was poisoned!

Oh well, we all miss these things in the heat of the battle sometimes.

Edit: Yes, it seems to only win the bishop but black has to find 12...Nd4 or the more subtle 12...Ne5 to avoid losing the queen.

K

Moves
04 Feb 13

Originally posted by tomtom232
12. a3 seems to win the bishop at least by taking away the queens only escape square and threatening to take the bishop and play 12. Rfb1 at the same time so the pawn was poisoned!

Oh well, we all miss these things in the heat of the battle sometimes.

Edit: Yes, it seems to only win the bishop but black has to find 12...Nd4 or the more subtle 12...Ne5 to avoid losing the queen.
I thought about a3 for a while, but it seems like after Ba5 and 12.Rfb1, black has Nd4! with a threat on the white queen and an attack on c2...

t

Moves
04 Feb 13

I thought about a3 for a while, but it seems like after Ba5 and 12.Rfb1, black has Nd4! with a threat on the white queen and an attack on c2...
12. Rfb1 Nd4 13.Rxb2 and the bishop is defending the queen so black still loses a piece.

W

Moves
04 Feb 13

Well,missing 12.a3 is missing a winning oportunity,but it didn't cost you the game.
After 14 moves it's still anybody's game and yet,you lost.Now that would worry me more than missing 1 tactic.
Or,just in case greenpawn reads this,it worries me in an equal degree as missing the tactic
Some short comments.

So here you played 15.Nb5.Why?Surely d5 is the place to be!

Much nicer looking isn't it?

Here black just unleashed 20.... Rc2?! and you defended the 7th with 21.Qe3

Like a Stuka with the siren on the rook spreads fear in the enemy camp.
Psychological warfare at it's best,those Stuka's.This rook,however,is quite harmless.
Ignore it!
21.Rxb6!Cool as a sniper.

What's he going to do?Mate you?
21... Rxf2 22.Rxb7 Rxg2+ 23.Kh1 like a bomber without bombs,no mate in sight

So back to 21.Rxb6 Bc6 realising his mistake he changes course.

And perhaps now you defend f2 and things are pretty much equal.But don't defend it with the queen.Never the queen!
Just use the rook,22.Rf1 looks ok.Right?

e4

Moves
04 Feb 13

You are all missing the point and NOT looking.

Give me 30 minutes. I've seen cool one line and I've not even
started tossing the bits about.

e4

Moves
04 Feb 13
5 edits

How did you lose to this guy?
He's playing 1..b6 and then grabbing QNP's with his Queen.

PM me you address and I'll send you £29.95. With this I want you to buy
The Batsford Encyclopedia of End Games. The Hard back edition.

"You want me to study End Games greenpawn?"

No, it's the heaviest book on the bookstall.
Buy it and get a friend to whack you over the head with it.

OK. First of all don't bother with Queen trapping or Bishop winning ideas.
Think King.

While you are at the bookstall pick up the FIDE book of rules.
Page one, first sentence. The object of the game is Checkmate.

First let us get the blantant trap out of the way.
It should plant the seed of the idea.

My QNP for your KNP

Now for that f5 defence.

There maybe a wee hole here and there but it all looks good (and fun!) and any holes can be plugged
I'm sure of it. The whole show after 13.e5 feels right and much easier to play than all that messing about
on the Queenside that went on in the actual game.

q

Moves
04 Feb 13

Here it is (I'm white):

[pgn]
1. e4 b6 2. Nc3 Bb7 3. Nf3 e6 4. d4 Bb4 5. Bd3 Nf6 6. Bg5 h6 7. Bxf6 Qxf6
8. O-O O-O 9. Qe2 Nc6 10. d5 exd5 11. Nxd5 Qxb2 12. Rfb1 Qa3 13. Rb3 Qa5
14. Nxc7 ...[text shortened]... cally, at least.
Hi.
I like to keep things simple so here goes.
I think white went wrong on move 2.
2.d4 has to be best/more flexible as there is no need to commit or N to c3 yet, as you may want to play c3 or Nd2.
eg

1. e4 b6
2. d4 Bb7
3. Bd3 e6
4. Nf3 Nf6
5. Qe2
if black plays c5 you can maintain centre with c3,
if black d5 you have e5; then say if black tries Ne4, the simple Nd2 is quite good.

In all these sample lines, white keeps his black squared bishop which can be handy in attacking the black king etc

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Feb 13

Originally posted by Wilfriedva
Well,missing 12.a3 is missing a winning oportunity,but it didn't cost you the game.
After 14 moves it's still anybody's game and yet,you lost.Now that would worry me more than missing 1 tactic.
Or,just in case greenpawn reads this,it worries me in an equal degree as missing the tactic
Some short comments.

So here you played 15.Nb5.Why?Surely d5 is t ...[text shortened]... 22.Rf1 looks ok.Right?
[fen]5rk1/3p1pp1/1Rb4p/8/4P3/3Q1N2/q1r2PPP/5RK1 b - - 0 22[/fen]
I was thinking the same thing in that first position.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Feb 13

Originally posted by queenabber
Hi.
I like to keep things simple so here goes.
I think white went wrong on move 2.
2.d4 has to be best/more flexible as there is no need to commit or N to c3 yet, as you may want to play c3 or Nd2.
eg

1. e4 b6
2. d4 Bb7
3. Bd3 e6
4. Nf3 Nf6
5. Qe2
if black plays c5 you can maintain centre with c3,
if black d5 you have e5; then say if black ...[text shortened]... e lines, white keeps his black squared bishop which can be handy in attacking the black king etc
I would automatically play 2.d4 too. Give me the center and I will take it.

K

Moves
04 Feb 13
3 edits

Huh, it seems I wasted too much energy trying to punish the queen directly when I should just have taken advantage of the fact that she was out of the action.
That seems like a worthwhile idea to remember in general - from what I remember about chess these types of pawn grabbing situations come up a lot. Thanks for all those cool lines! I'm not sure they're foolproof, but the ideas are excellent, and if there is a way out it'll be quite difficult to find over the board.

So I don't come off a complete tosser, here's and exciting miniature of mine from the same tournament. (I'm black against a 1600 USCF).

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Feb 13

Originally posted by greenpawn34
How did you lose to this guy?
He's playing 1..b6 and then grabbing QNP's with his Queen.

PM me you address and I'll send you £29.95. With this I want you to buy
The Batsford Encyclopedia of End Games. The Hard back edition.

"You want me to study End Games greenpawn?"

No, it's the heaviest book on the bookstall.
Buy it and get a friend to whac ...[text shortened]... han all that messing about
on the Queenside that went on in the actual game.
Your Ng5 idea can be busted by Bd6, which protects the bishop and c7 at the same time and then the Knight at g5 is really in danger of being taken.

However, your second idea with d5 seems very good.

e4

Moves
05 Feb 13

HI RJ

I did say the Ng5 was "Total nonsense codswallop."
I used that as seed.

I think your mean my e5 idea is good. It's look good to me.

Hi Kareem.

That 2nd game was fine, Rooks sacs on c3 and getting the White e-apwn
in the Sicilian always lead to double edged play and is always difficult for White
to handle.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Feb 13

Originally posted by greenpawn34
HI RJ

I did say the Ng5 was "Total nonsense codswallop."
I used that as seed.

I think your mean my e5 idea is good. It's look good to me.

Hi Kareem.

That 2nd game was fine, Rooks sacs on c3 and getting the White e-apwn
in the Sicilian always lead to double edged play and is always difficult for White
to handle.
Yes you are right. I still have have trouble getting these letters and numbers right. I have to think extra hard and that is not easy for a man of my years.