1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:56
    That's the problem with chess quotes. It can be exceedingly difficult to find the true, original source of the quote.

"When you see a good move, play it immediately, before you see another move that you think is better but is in reality, a blunder. - Mad Rook
  2. Lagos
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:02
    I think its just a blatant lie saying they only see 1 or 2 moves ahead. How do you play ''the best move'' if you only see one move ahead. You must be married to the goddess of luck to achieve that.
    They are just trying not to scare us.
  3. e4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:061 edit
    Just attribute everything to Capablanca.

"Before the endgame, the gods have placed the middlegame."

Capablanca. 🙂
  4. e4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:09
    Originally posted by Goshen
    I think its just a blatant lie saying they only see 1 or 2 moves ahead. How do you play ''the best move'' if you only see one move ahead. You must be married to the goddess of luck to achieve that.
    Excellent.

In case others don't get it.

"You must be married to the goddess of luck...."

"A good player is always lucky." - Capablanca really did say that!
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:341 edit
    you shouldn't take it as a rigid truth, but a description of how strong players experience the move selection in contrast to weak players.

there are also psychological studies confirming the fact that strong players look at less moves than weak ones. and not only that, but the eventually chosen candidate tends to also be the first one you look at.

what this tells us is that the better you get, the more the processing of the position happens subconsciously. conscious thought processes are simply too slow and the short term memory too limited.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:37
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Excellent.

In case others don't get it.

"You must be married to the goddess of luck...."

"A good player is always lucky." - Capablanca really did say that!
    "the more I practice, the luckier I get."

-some golfer whose name I can't remember right now.
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:39
    It was Gary.

Gary Player?
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:56
    I don't know why people always get this wrong. CAPA NEVER SAID THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the guy that played Capa and won that said that. Capa actually said he sees 10 moves.
    The best documentation I've found is from Edward Winter (no surprise). Of course, not conclusive.

Chess Note number 4483 at this link:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter24.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree