Analyze board

Analyze board

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
23 Mar 20

My 39 year old daughter came to visit us yesterday.
There was a chessboard on display and she told me she had never learned how to play!!
Anyway I set about teaching her and after showing her the basics she wanted to have a game.
I've only ever played on here for years and I quickly realised that now, I rely a lot on the analyze board feature.
I therefor decided to stop using it except to remind myself of the last few moves in a game.
To anyone who I am playing, expect a few blunders from me for a while!!

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
25 Mar 20

@venda
I use it a lot if something catches my eye. That said for me normally it's to pull myself out a 'Sticky Situation'.

Moves
25 Mar 20

@venda said
There was a chessboard on display and she told me she had never learned how to play!!
Anyway I set about teaching her and after showing her the basics she wanted to have a game.
I've only ever played on here for years and I quickly realised that now, I rely a lot on the analyze board feature.
I therefor decided to stop usi ...[text shortened]... last few moves in a game.
I use it extensively when tasked with more than a dozen or so games.
It greatly aids me in efficiently evaluating my original intent and main idea of a game's position.

But, I can see where over-reliance might affect visualization during OTB games. Thanks for the warning Venda. 🙂

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
28 Mar 20
1 edit

@hells-caretaker said
@venda
I use it a lot if something catches my eye. That said for me normally it's to pull myself out a 'Sticky Situation'.
I suppose the analyze board is OK, but I don't use it much. Once past the opening book moves, I'll set up my board to analyze.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Mar 20

@venda said
I therefor decided to stop usi ...[text shortened]... last few moves in a game.
I rely on it pretty heavily. I remember when Russ introduced it. As a rule I think it's worth looking at the position for as long as practicable before messing around with the analysis board. Objectively it's main value lies in checking that the end position after some combination doesn't contain some sort of sting in the tail. In practice I tend to mess around with the position to generate ideas.