1. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 03:01
    Can anyone recommend a good collection of annotated games?
    Given it's going to be my first book on the subject (I'm just beginning this phase of my chess study), would it be better to get a collection spanning many players and time periods rather than something focusing on a single career?
    Thank you.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 04:021 edit
    If your rating/strength is under 1600, then IMO your first book of annotated games should be Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev. As I've said many times before, that is the only chess book that I would put in the "must read" category. It is very entertaining and very instructive. I read it when I was a beginner and learned a tremendous amount from it, and I read it again when I was rated about 1650 and gained some new insights into the game that I missed on the first reading!
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 04:21
    Thanks, I've heard people speak highly of this book in other threads, I'll look into it.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 04:53
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Thanks, I've heard people speak highly of this book in other threads, I'll look into it.
    Your welcome.

Another great annotated game collection is 500 Master Games of Chess by Tartakower and DuMont. It actually has over 500 games (there are many short games in the notes), and it includes almost all of the "immortal games" played before around 1950.
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 05:45
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Can anyone recommend a good collection of annotated games?
    Given it's going to be my first book on the subject (I'm just beginning this phase of my chess study), would it be better to get a collection spanning many players and time periods rather than something focusing on a single career?
    Thank you.
    This is an excellent book with very good annotations (& quite rightly, glowing reviews):
    http://tinyurl.com/5jm24c

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree