1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 21:183 edits

He missed a queen fork around move 15 which allowed me to defend.

On move 44 I thought a bishop in a semi open game was stronger than knight so I traded down. Turned out to be correct.

Any one see improvements for white after the trades?
  2. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 23:45
    I think 57. Ne4 is winning. White's King is going to lob off the b6 pawn (via c7 to stop the bishop defending from d8 or else via c6 if 57 ... Be5) and then at least one of its buddies. Black's plan is too slow. His King will need to dislodge that knight before he can make progress on the kingside.

3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Dec '14 01:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [pgn][Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2014.12.17"]
    [EndDate "2014.12.26"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Ellis Burke"]
    [Black "sonhouse"]
    [WhiteRating "1622"]
    [BlackRating "1676"]
    [WhiteElo "1622"]
    [BlackElo "1676"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "10954299"]

1. Ng1f3 Ng8f6 2. d4 d5 3. c3 Nb8c6 4. Qd1c2 g6 5. Qc2b3 Bf8g7 6. g3 O-O 7. ...[text shortened]... I traded down. Turned out to be correct.

Any one see improvements for white after the trades?
    Ellis Burke is a nice person to play, and he is a very scrappy player. It's nice to see games posted on the forum!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '14 02:453 edits
    Originally posted by mikenay
    I think 57. Ne4 is winning. White's King is going to lob off the b6 pawn (via c7 to stop the bishop defending from d8 or else via c6 if 57 ... Be5) and then at least one of its buddies. Black's plan is too slow. His King will need to dislodge that knight before he can make progress on the kingside.

[fen]8/3K2k1/1p3bp1/p1p4p/P1P1N2P/1P4P1/8/8[/fen]
    Yeah, I was waiting for that, it might have turned the game around. Dead even after 13 games, 6 wins, 6 loses, one draw.

Anyway, in response to N-e4, I have to go B-e5 and when his king goes after my pawns, my plan was to inch my king out to attack his knight forcing it to move and then getting the g and h pawns like in the game. Don't know if it would have worked but that was my plan.

I was a bit surprised he went 31 Be3, allowing me to snag the B for my N.

I would have gone to d2 or f4 to avoid that, probably d2.
    It left me with the fianchetto bishop of my own.
  5. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    27 Dec '14 15:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, I was waiting for that, it might have turned the game around. Dead even after 13 games, 6 wins, 6 loses, one draw.

Anyway, in response to N-e4, I have to go B-e5 and when his king goes after my pawns, my plan was to inch my king out to attack his knight forcing it to move and then getting the g and h pawns like in the game. Don't know if it would h ...[text shortened]... e gone to d2 or f4 to avoid that, probably d2.
    It left me with the fianchetto bishop of my own.
    I'm torn on that piece exchange. It looks like the kind of position where generally you'd like bishop versus knight, but your knight looked pretty good where it was, and his bishop was a bit in the way on e3 (plus trapped behind pawns and without a target for the time being). As it turned out I think his knight was as good as your bishop (if he'd played Ne4), and his king was much more active than yours.

I think he can counter your Be5 plan by taking the c-pawn and then just supporting his knight with his king pretty much killing your counterplay. Another option is Bd6 to hold the c-pawn and keep his King away, but I'd still expect white to win (I haven't gone over it properly though).
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 17:56
    Originally posted by mikenay
    I'm torn on that piece exchange. It looks like the kind of position where generally you'd like bishop versus knight, but your knight looked pretty good where it was, and his bishop was a bit in the way on e3 (plus trapped behind pawns and without a target for the time being). As it turned out I think his knight was as good as your bishop (if he'd played Ne ...[text shortened]... keep his King away, but I'd still expect white to win (I haven't gone over it properly though).
    I expect you are right, till I was able to get both of his end pawns and get the queen I thought for sure I was cooked. But with Ne4 I still think I could chase it away with my king and then go for those end pawns. Whether that would be in time after he slaughters all MY pawns and gets one of his in, is another story🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree