1. Standard membertension84
    Tension
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '07 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    sorry to be stupid, but I can't see why white retired. Why not Pxg5? I know this doesn't leave whites position pretty, but I can't see why it's lost, and white is materially up.

I know there is a reason, but it's a 2000 player reason and I'm not one.

Ta
    BF
    If fxg5, then Black pushes f4 and you have a big problem... Rc8+ is no good either, as for Kd2, as Wormwood said, the Knight on f3 goes down without a fight, then white has to Rxf3 and gives a rook for a knight.. game over. Instead of Rxf3, an other white move leads to mate..
  2. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    20 May '07 22:29
    fxg5 allows f4 an white loses both bishop and knight.
  3. Standard membertension84
    Tension
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '07 22:37
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    LOL 🙂 you know what they say, great minds think alike 🙂) Thx for reaffirming my point here with the f4 comment 😀
  4. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    20 May '07 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    yeah, I thought that, but after f4 why can't white play Re5. Sure, white loses the rook and the knight, but gains both the bishop and the knight in the process and ends up 2 points down. Admittedly, his pawns are scattered... was the position from this point unwinnable?

[edit] sorry, I should learn to read all of the responses not just the last one. Thanks for the feedback guys - looking again I can see why it was all over (I think)
  5. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    20 May '07 23:34
    Originally posted by tension84
    LOL 🙂 you know what they say, great minds think alike 🙂) Thx for reaffirming my point here with the f4 comment 😀
    lol, I hit the post button and then saw you had already posted the same thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree