Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member bot 6
    Bla bla bla
    24 Aug '08 20:42
    can you still castle queenside if the oponents bishop is owning one of the squares?
  2. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    24 Aug '08 20:44
    Originally posted by bot 6
    can you still castle queenside if the oponents bishop is owning one of the squares?
    no. you cant castle through check
  3. Standard member bot 6
    Bla bla bla
    24 Aug '08 20:46
    k check out my game against pawnfondler youll see
  4. 24 Aug '08 20:48
    Originally posted by irontigran
    no. you cant castle through check
    However, if the bishop attacks the square closest to the rook, you don't castle through check (which is why it worked in bot6's and pawnfondler's game).
  5. 24 Aug '08 20:48 / 1 edit
    You can castle q-side if the bishop is controlling one of the squares the ROOK has to cross though (e.g. b1 or b8) or if it's attacking the rook itself.
    Oops, too late : )
  6. Standard member bot 6
    Bla bla bla
    24 Aug '08 20:55
    just when i thought i knew all the rules. how many rules in chess are there anyway? anyone know
  7. 24 Aug '08 20:58
    42?
  8. 24 Aug '08 21:01
    2001 - (A Space Advantage Odyssey)
  9. 24 Aug '08 21:04
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    2001 - (A Space Advantage Odyssey)
    Could be. I haven't had the time to count them all. But I still think that 42 is an answer that is good for any question. I haven't seen the movie you mentioned, though.
  10. 24 Aug '08 21:06
    Originally posted by bot 6
    just when i thought i knew all the rules. how many rules in chess are there anyway? anyone know
    http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article
  11. 24 Aug '08 21:27
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Could be. I haven't had the time to count them all. But I still think that 42 is an answer that is good for any question. I haven't seen the movie you mentioned, though.
    Really? Stanley Kubrick film. The main character plays chess against a computer (HAL)-can't remember too much more, it's been a while?!

    But you're right, 42 is a good answer for any question!
  12. 24 Aug '08 22:57
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    But you're right, 42 is a good answer for any question!
    "So what did you score on the IQ test?"

    "What is your rating at RHP?"

    "Your team scored 2 goals, how many did the other side get?"
  13. 24 Aug '08 23:06 / 1 edit
    2001 - that's my OTB grade at the moment.
    Though I may lose two points due something mysterious called 'The Drift'.
    So I'm losing two points just for staying alive. huh!

    Does anybody know if it's true that HAL was A.C.Clarke's way of saying IBM?
    (if you add one letter to H(I) then to A(B) then to L(M). HAL+1=IBM.)

    I know in 'From Russia with Love' they changed the position on the
    demo board from a famous game because the producers thought
    chess games had a copyright.
  14. 24 Aug '08 23:22
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I know in 'From Russia with Love' they changed the position on the
    demo board from a famous game because the producers thought
    chess games had a copyright.
    Great idea for tournaments!

    Arbiter: "Excuse me, this position is copyrighted by Kasparov. Do you have a licence? No? Well, I am sorry, but the game is forfeited, and you'll have to pay a penalty."
  15. Standard member eldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    25 Aug '08 20:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Does anybody know if it's true that HAL was A.C.Clarke's way of saying IBM?
    (if you add one letter to H(I) then to A(B) then to L(M). HAL+1=IBM.)

    I know in 'From Russia with Love' they changed the position on the
    demo board from a famous game because the producers thought
    chess games had a copyright.
    Maybe they thought that James Bond was a dummy.