1. The Hague
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 12:54
    Black to move and win.

Might one consider it too easy, it would be appreciated if one would refrain from denigratingly saying so.
  2. In attack
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:402 edits
    Reveal Hidden Content
    I think the move is Rxc4, because if it's taken by the pawn then Nf3+ opens up the pawns in front of the king and the light squared bishop and queen can come in to checkmate. I am not sure if white can get out of it by declining to take the Rook though...
    🙂

*Edit: I can't see my own "hidden", so I thought it was my smiley that was the offensive one. Smiley now returned...
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:494 edits
    Originally posted by morgski
    Reveal Hidden Content
    I think the move is Rxc4, because if it\'s taken by the pawn then Nf3+ opens up the pawns in front of the king and the light squared bishop and queen can come in to checkmate. I am not sure if white can get out of it by declining to take the Rook though...
    🙂

(hidden fixed so it displays properly)
    Edit: morgski - in hiddens replace all ' with \' to make it work.

My view:
    Reveal Hidden Content
    I don\'t see the need for Rxc4, as I can\'t see a defence for white after Nf3+ followed by Bh3
  4. The Hague
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:546 edits
    velvetears:
    Reveal Hidden Content
    there actually is a defense against that... find it

Edit: failing at making the hidden thing work...

Edit #6: finally 😛
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:561 edit
    Thanks, that explains morgski's move.

Edit: Lose the emoticon 😉 to make the hidden work.
  6. The Hague
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:59
    Do try to get the exact solution though, since move order is important! I got this one from chesstempo where the solution stops after Reveal Hidden Content
    Rxc3
    because the computer will not allow the important solution variation, which is why the first move works, to be played out.
  7. In attack
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 14:27
    If pawn is taken:

If declined option 1:

If declined option 2:

If leading with the knight:

I still can't find any "winning" moves greater than pieces up if the Rook sac is declined though...
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 00:12
    Originally posted by davaniel
    .......might one consider it too easy, it would be appreciated if one would refrain from denigratingly saying so.
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Too easy - again

skeets
  9. The Hague
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 14:40
    You are so sad. Such a senseless comment.
    No doubt it is not too easy for most people, which btw the problem rating on CT (2100+) proves as well.
  10. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 03:26
    Keep in mind that Skeeter is of at least Expert playing strength, and possibly Master, so naturally she would be able to solve these problems in a matter of seconds (or less). Of course, one would hope she'd at least have the sense and maturity to realize that these problems are not intended for her but for much lower-rated players, and to just stay out of the thread rather than use it as an opportunity to demonstrate for us all how awesome she is at chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree