1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 05:44
    I played this game recently as black here on RHP blitz. I mainly wanted to know whether I could have pulled out a win at the end, or whether settling for the draw was the best option. I made a couple of mistakes along the way, as you will definitely notice (blocking in my light-squared bishop, giving away a pawn, etc.), but I'm mostly interested in the last ten moves or so.

2. washington
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 06:40
    Nope. However move 32 white should have played Qd2. h3 didn't do anything.
  3. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 20:20
    A well-played game of blitz. Mine usually fall apart after 15 moves, leaving 8 or so hanging pieces that give me no attacking chances.

I'm not great at analysis, and have no real formal training, but it seemed like white had good control of the center, with rook queen bishop, from about move 28 on. Really seemed to hang back and play defense even with good attacking chances. There was a strong rook check that might have helped the a-pawn, and the juicy hanging bishop on c6. This is probably how you got a good attacking chance on white from the edge. I can't find a mate, either.
  4. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 20:501 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I played this game recently as black here on RHP blitz. I mainly wanted to know whether I could have pulled out a win at the end, or whether settling for the draw was the best option. I made a couple of mistakes along the way, as you will definitely notice (blocking in my light-squared bishop, giving away a pawn, etc.), but I'm mostly interested in the ...[text shortened]... 35. Qd2 Rxh3+ 36. Kg1 Qh2+ 37. Kf1 Qh1+ 38. Kf2 Rxf3+ 39. gxf3 Qxf3+ 40. Ke1 Qh1+ 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    dunno...when i see h6 on move 28. I'm a bit confused. Personally, I'd have marched
    that little soldier all the way down... h5 would have been my push. h6 just seems a bit
    to conservative when your searching for a half point. On move 29. you agreed and
    used another tempi to bring the pawn to that square.

When I see this position, I would be looking for a liability.

As long as the f pawn remains on f3, the g2 square (whites point of liability - the anchor
    of the pawns) is invulnerable to the light squared bishop. This leaves only blacks Rook
    and Queen to attack. This is not acceptable. White needs to pressure the f pawn,
    and continue building pressure on whites king. My try would include:

29. ... Qf4 30.b3 (or b4) Rg5 - Black's attack looks much more threatening!
    black has also minimized his f5 liability.

From here black has great chances - if white moves his rook off the 1st rank, (Rd3
    looks good here) then black has great options with Qc1+ and can get behind the
    white queenside majority with Qc1+ Qd1 Qb2! and now white is trying to solidify
    everything - all at once.

Black also has great attacking chances with Rh5, and can probably loosen whites
    position with this move!

Rg3 gets a "?" in my book. It worked out well... because white made a blunder - but
    if white plays Qe7! things are out of hand.

There is no mate without a white mistake.

-GIN
  5. Joined
    19 Feb '10
    Moves
    19 Feb '10 11:142 edits
    37.Kf1 Rxf3?
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    19 Feb '10 15:55
    That Rxh3 sac only give a draw at best.....
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    20 Feb '10 03:20
    "I'm a bit confused. Personally, I'd have marched that little soldier all the way down... h5 would have been my push. h6 just seems a bit to conservative when your searching for a half point. On move 29. you agreed and used another tempi to bring the pawn to that square."

I agree, and I had meant to mention that when I first made my post. Originally, ...h6 was purely a waiting move -- I was running out of time, and I couldn't find any weaknesses to exploit, so I wanted to see what he was thinking. In retrospect ...h5 had no liabilities, and would have served the same purpose, but I didn't think about using the pawn as a wedge until the next move (apparently).

Anyway, besides that, thank you for your feedback and analysis.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree