Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 22 May '08 14:43
    this is not a draw?
    Game 4775785
  2. 22 May '08 15:28
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    this is not a draw?
    Game 4775785
    Yes, an amateur (me) says that should probably be a White win... but I haen't played through the game, just thought about the ideas involved. If White swops off his bishop for Black's passed pawn while manouvering his king over to Black's king pawns, he should be able to queen... don't quote me on that. Strong players are welcome to disagree! Just what I think.
  3. 22 May '08 15:53
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    this is not a draw?
    Game 4775785
    It's a draw. (Do you see the squers under those bishops?)
  4. 22 May '08 16:16
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    It's a draw. (Do you see the squers under those bishops?)
    That's not really the point though. The opposite coloured bishops don't affect the line curseknight mentions. I think there might be something in it.

    E.g. 45. Kd5 d3, 46. Bb3 (not Bxd3 - the black K is too close to the white pawns then) d2, 47. Ke6...

    I think it was a straightforward draw until black tried to get creative and force a win.
  5. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    22 May '08 16:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    this is not a draw?
    Game 4775785
    From the position given, I think white should win.

    I've only glanced at it though, but it seems like white has any possibilities that may exist.

    D
  6. 22 May '08 16:27
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    From the position given, I think white should win.

    I've only glanced at it thought, but it seems like white has any possibilities that may exist.

    D
    I kinda had the "feeling" there was something in there. But I thought that a sac of bishop for the advanced pawn would work but felt I (white) would lose the foot race for promotion.
  7. 22 May '08 16:33
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    I kinda had the "feeling" there was something in there. But I thought that a sac of bishop for the advanced pawn would work but felt I (white) would lose the foot race for promotion.
    If it's going to work you've got to make sure you sac on d1 and not d3, otherwise as you say white loses the race. I think
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    22 May '08 17:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    From the position given, I think white should win.

    I've only glanced at it thought, but it seems like white has any possibilities that may exist.

    D
    that's what I thought as well, although I'm not sure if white is fast enough, as black can sac the bishop for white f-pawn, and getting to the h-pawn will take a lot more time, while black is presumably freeing his pawns on the other side after probably forcing white to sac bishop for the black center pawn?

    no, wait, can't black just march to b5? if white tries to defend it, he has to sac the bishop for black d-pawn, and after that white can't defend both flanks, not to mention the zugzwang without the bishop?

    edit: ah, right, Bd3 can keep both b5 safe and stop d3...
  9. 22 May '08 18:10 / 1 edit
    It looks drawn to me if the Kings reverse position. But it looks like both sides have a ton of play left with the Kings placed where they are now.

    Black and go after the weak b5 pawn, and White could go after Black's pawns? What's stopping it?
  10. 22 May '08 18:26
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    It's a draw. (Do you see the squers under those bishops?)
    First of all, it's spelt squares, not squers. And secondly, not all opposite-coloured bishop endgames are drawn, as one of my books frequently remind me. You could at least try to explain why my line doesn't work.
  11. 22 May '08 18:27
    Originally posted by mtthw
    That's not really the point though. The opposite coloured bishops don't affect the line curseknight mentions. I think there might be something in it.

    E.g. 45. Kd5 d3, 46. Bb3 (not Bxd3 - the black K is too close to the white pawns then) d2, 47. Ke6...

    I think it was a straightforward draw until black tried to get creative and force a win.
    I agree, Black shouldn't have tried for the win but I always try new lines because at my stage it doesn't matter and I learn into the bargain.
  12. 22 May '08 18:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by curseknight
    First of all, it's spelt squares, not squers. And secondly, not all opposite-coloured bishop endgames are drawn, as one of my books frequently remind me. You could at least try to explain why my line doesn't work.
    ok those square-squere-thing was stupid, but this is a draw

    (as you can see, I'm not English)
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    22 May '08 18:51
    Originally posted by curseknight
    Yes, an amateur (me) says that should probably be a White win... but I haen't played through the game, just thought about the ideas involved. If White swops off his bishop for Black's passed pawn while manouvering his king over to Black's king pawns, he should be able to queen... don't quote me on that. Strong players are welcome to disagree! Just what I think.
    The black bishop gets down on the 8th rank to block the one pawn that could make it while covering the black pawn on h. I had some thoughts about a line, but a computer showed the error in my thinking and how black keeps the game a draw.

    P-
  14. 22 May '08 20:10
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    ok those square-squere-thing was stupid, but this is a draw

    (as you can see, I'm not English)
    The spelling doesn't matter (btw, your English is pretty good), the point is that the position, if they played on, is almost certainly a win for one side.
  15. 22 May '08 20:12
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The black bishop gets down on the 8th rank to block the one pawn that could make it while covering the black pawn on h. I had some thoughts about a line, but a computer showed the error in my thinking and how black keeps the game a draw.

    P-
    If Bf8 or Bg6 protecting the h-pawn, the King can swing in to f7, for example. I don't think Black can protect both pawns, or stop the one that is then passed from queening- if the B is swopped off for the new Q, White is at liberty to take the other pawn and promote again. Am I right here or just going mad?