1. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 10:52
    1.e4 1.c6 2. d4 2.d5 3. e5 3.Bf5 4.Bd3!? what shld be blacks plan.now i exchanged bishops 4.Bxd3 5.Qxd3 5 e6. A really bad opening for black !! can an caro kann expert tell me how to deal this? my c5 was met with b3 and it was almost difficult for me .f6 would lead to a backward pawn.my opponent castled king side and started a kingside expansion which seemed to almost blow me up.Meanwhile my king was in center and I was about to castle long when i lost my connection and forfeited in a blitz match.sorry i don't have the pgn.but can someone provide how to tackle the above variation?? i have started playing carokann and my favourites are e5,c5.
  2. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 11:18
    Without getting into specific variations, you're going to want to try for a minority attack with your queenside pawns. Play your kingside knight to f5, which is pretty much daring him to push his kingside pawns forward. Put your bishop on e7, then castle kingside. Then you're going to want to get your pawns rolling on the queenside, possibly assisted with a rook on b8. You want to avoid, at all costs, playing on the kingside. If White is able to force you to defend on the kingside, YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE. If the minority attack succeeds, it will create weaknesses in his pawns on the queenside, and he will be forced to play on the queenside, which is where you want him.

This from a plainly average 1600, but one who plays the Caro Kann almost exclusively, and always lets out a smile when he sees 4.Bd3 in the Advance Variation.
  3. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 11:27
    hi what would be the best reply to Bd3?Also castling king side was bit risky.It would lead to a similar sort of KIA with too many tactical oppurtunities for white like a sacrifice of piece.
  4. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by harisankars2003
    hi what would be the best reply to Bd3?Also castling king side was bit risky.It would lead to a similar sort of KIA with too many tactical oppurtunities for white like a sacrifice of piece.
    I've found that the best reply to Bd3 is simply Bxd3. If White wants to help me trade off my bad bishop 4 move into the game, I'm happy to oblige. Also, I seldom have problems with castling kingside. Since I'm going to be pushing my pawns on the queenside, that's not where I want my king. I say, castle kingside, and if he wants to open his king up by sending a pawn storm at your king, let him do it.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 11:46
    I play the Caro-Kann (though I’m no expert!) and I’ve studied this variation recently. After:

4.Bd3 Bxd3
    5.Qxd3 e6

Black is doing fine, but my plan depends on how White plays from here. Any particular moves you want to look at? An example from one of my recent games continued Nf3, Qa5+, c3, Qa6, Qxa6, Nxa6. This is good for Black.

Take a look over some classic games in this opening, e.g. Atkins - Capablanca
  6. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 12:27
    hi i think he played f5 after e6.what all responses possible for black against a kingside attack by white?.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 12:40
    hi i think he played f5 after e6.what all responses possible for black against a kingside attack by white?.
    If f4 then Qa5+, with the idea of Qa6. Black is aiming to either play on the light squares (since White's light square bishop has been exchanged and the White's central pawns leave the light squares weak), or to exchange queens.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 16:43
    this is my favorite caro kann advance variation.b*d-3. Q*d-3 then.black should play either e-6 then quick c-5 take the d-pawn third move down.thats what i do.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 17:55
    I was going to suggest you play ..e6 and ..c5, looking to play this like a French where the exchange of light squared bishops clearly helps you, both in the fact that yours sucked and White is almost always a valuable attacking piece on d3. Although since you played ..c6 ..c5 and gave him Qd3, you are a bit behind on time. But I don't see Qd3 making much of a difference. Play like, ..c5 , ..Nc6, ..Qb6, like a French advance.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 20:531 edit
    Man, I love the Caro-Kann Advanced with white. 😛 It's the most fun variation and it's the best way to attack in the CK with white. Although Bd3's generally not the best move in that position - the Advanced should be played with 4.Nc3 and 5.g4.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 21:08
    grandmaster pereltshene sugest b-d3 not g-4.cms master.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 21:11
    Originally posted by willrayray
    Grandmaster Pereltshene might as well lick my...

And he may like the line, but that doesn't mean I should agree with him.
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 21:13
    Originally posted by willrayray
    I can be certain that I can find other GM's that recommend something else. IM Larry Kaufman recommends 3. Nf3. What does GM Perelshteyn think about that!? 😀
  14. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 21:13
    1.e4 1.c6 2. d4 2.d5 3. e5 3.Bf5 4.Bd3!? what shld be blacks plan.now i exchanged bishops 4.Bxd3 5.Qxd3 5 e6. A really bad opening for black !! can an caro kann expert tell me how to deal this? my c5 was met with b3 and it was almost difficult for me .f6 would lead to a backward pawn.my opponent castled king side and started a kingside expansion wh ...[text shortened]... ow to tackle the above variation?? i have started playing carokann and my favourites are e5,c5.
    I don't like that. I rather prefer Fischer-Steinmeyer: 1.) e4 c6 2.)d4 d5 3.)Nc3 dxe4 Nxe4.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 21:17
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I don't like that. I rather prefer Fischer-Steinmeyer: 1.) e4 c6 2.)d4 d5 3.)Nc3 dxe4 Nxe4.
    That's just the mainline, isn't it? Not even close to as awesome as the Advanced.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree