1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 03:27
    I live in NC and I've never been to a tournament or met any GM's. The only people I can be around that share my interest are online. How can I expand my horizons in the real world when I live in the tobacco state?
  2. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 09:47
    http://www.ncchess.org/clubs.php
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 20:40
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I live in NC and I've never been to a tournament or met any GM's. The only people I can be around that share my interest are online. How can I expand my horizons in the real world when I live in the tobacco state?
    The Lincoln Pfeffercorn Open (LPO) and the "Land of the Sky" tournament are the two biggest I know of.

If you go to http://www.uschess.org/tlas/upcoming.php?STATE=NC

you can find more listings of tournaments.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 22:08
    Are any of the tournaments fitting for someone like me? My online rating is about 1500, and probably a lot less if I got rated OTB.

Are they spectator friendly? Things for chess fans who aren't in the tournament to do?
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 22:11
    If I were you, I'd enter the lowest section of the tournament. I don't know about the US, but in Wales there'd definately be a section for a player around your strength. I'm around 1650 on here and I won the minor section of the South Wales Winter congress.

Think about it, there's plenty of players here (RHP), and you aren't the worst. So it's highly unlikely you'll be the worst at a large collection of OTB players either.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 22:29
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    If I were you, I'd enter the lowest section of the tournament. I don't know about the US, but in Wales there'd definately be a section for a player around your strength. I'm around 1650 on here and I won the minor section of the South Wales Winter congress.

Think about it, there's plenty of players here (RHP), and you aren't the worst. So it's highly unlikely you'll be the worst at a large collection of OTB players either.
    Thank you. I just might do that! Will they rank me? There's ELO and FIDA, right?
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 23:16
    FIDE is an ELO rating, as is USCF.I guess you'd get a USCF rating, but you may need to be a member of that organisation.
  8. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 23:23
    You'll probably have to join the USCF to enter the tournament. Then after the tournament, you'll get a provisional USCF rating. Let us know how you do!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree