1. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 16:52
    Would some kind old soul please take a look at one or two of the games I have played thus far, and then offer me any advice or thoughts etc for how I should practice based on my current playing strength, or lack thereof? Telling me to quit chess forever is not required 🙄

Thanks in advance! 🙂
  2. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 19:511 edit
    I rattled through a few of them. You know enough about the game to enjoy yourself in here without being humiliated. But you are far from being a good player, and show few signs that that's going to change any time soon. I'd say your rating level is 1500.

So Kasparov, you ain't. Kasparov's left eyebrow, you ain't either. Avoid players rated above 1700, and you'll win more than your share. Read some books and study the game, not least its strategic fundamentals, before anticipating improvement.

And share this assessment with about 75% of the players in here 🙂
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    I rattled through a few of them. You know enough about the game to enjoy yourself in here without being humiliated. But you are far from being a good player, and show few signs that that's going to change any time soon.
    Thanks for taking a look.

What you said I was kind of expecting, but it was good to hear it. Ya know? I plan to 'knuckle down' and try and make my chess game a bit stronger.
  4. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 02:44
    hallo,

by no means i am a good player. so giving advice seems a bit unfit. all hints i give you have their reasonable exceptions, of course.

try to watch your pawn structure. isolated pawns are usually not good. center pawns are very valuable. two central pawns in the middle of the board at the end of the opening are usually good.

in some games you moved your a2 or h2 pawns very early. try to develop pieces first (bishop/knight).

in an opening every move counts. try not to move pieces more than once. you loose time, which the other uses for development.

pieces feel happiest in the middle. a knight on the side is not good. couldnt find the game of mine, where both of my knights end up on the sides. is not good.

you have not so many games yet, so this one is a bit into the blue. towards the end, your king is the king. sounds strange, i know. but he becomes very powerful. try to put him towards the middle, where he can reign as a king should do. but not too early!

anyways, you might know that stuff, sorry for that. there are even more cool rules (like 'how to win as white' or 'how to win as black' - but i can't find my notes, searching for it... )

otherwise, hope it helps.

enjoy the game...
  5. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 08:54
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    in some games you moved your a2 or h2 pawns very early. try to develop pieces first (bishop/knight).

I usually do this because I am very concerned about getting one of my Knights pinned.
  6. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 12:39
    a pinned knight doesnt come at no expense for the other player and it is still better then a knight tucked away trying to look above the head of the pawns...

often you can use one of your bishops to break the pin - and at the same moment you (half)develop a piece again!
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 14:15
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    a pinned knight doesnt come at no expense for the other player and it is still better then a knight tucked away trying to look above the head of the pawns...
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try to bear that in mind.

I usually play Queens Gambit and will study this opening further online.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree