Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 23 Oct '06 19:14
    or are there otherwise strong players(GM's?)who fail to function at the lower time limits?
  2. 23 Oct '06 19:59
    I think depends on the time really, alot of the GM's on playchess play 3min or 5min games with +1sec per more, Hikaru Nakamura (Star Wars) is great at quick games, you should see some of his bullet games(1min).

    I think when you get to any strong level in chess time shouldn't be a massive factor in the quality of your play, yes you'll get more errors in quick games but your overall chess strength is still going to be pretty high.

    I'm a blitz/bullet player I enjoy 5min and 1min games, my slow game is crap compared to my blitz. Mainly because I'm used to quick play (leads to errors) and my errors aren't always picked up on blitz games however they are in slow games.
  3. 23 Oct '06 20:02
    Originally posted by Audacious
    I think depends on the time really, alot of the GM's on playchess play 3min or 5min games with +1sec per more, Hikaru Nakamura (Star Wars) is great at quick games, you should see some of his bullet games(1min).

    I think when you get to any strong level in chess time shouldn't be a massive factor in the quality of your play, yes you'll get more errors i ...[text shortened]... rors) and my errors aren't always picked up on blitz games however they are in slow games.
    The errors that aren't picked up in your blitz play will be rutheless punished in your correspondance play
  4. 23 Oct '06 20:22
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    The errors that aren't picked up in your blitz play will be rutheless punished in your correspondance play
    Yeah I said that lol
  5. 23 Oct '06 20:25
    Originally posted by Audacious
    I think depends on the time really, alot of the GM's on playchess play 3min or 5min games with +1sec per more, Hikaru Nakamura (Star Wars) is great at quick games, you should see some of his bullet games(1min).

    I think when you get to any strong level in chess time shouldn't be a massive factor in the quality of your play, yes you'll get more errors i ...[text shortened]... rors) and my errors aren't always picked up on blitz games however they are in slow games.
    Star Wars is Nakamura? My friend beat him! :o

    Anyway, I have seen a couple GMs with blitz ratings of about 2000. A lot of people that playt at my club are very strong players but they like lots of time. One guy I know is 1800 USCF, but he won't play in a tournament unless the time control is 2hours or more.
  6. 24 Oct '06 00:32
    I am crap at blitz, period. This is made quite clear in my FICS rating: 1348 Blitz but 1925 standard
  7. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    24 Oct '06 00:36
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I am crap at blitz, period. This is made quite clear in my FICS rating: 1348 Blitz but 1925 standard
    1095 and 1381p here. I should do something about it, some day...
  8. 24 Oct '06 00:52
    i'm alright at blitz but once i stopped playing blitz my rating soared so i dont think i'll be playing blitz for a long time.
  9. 16 Sep '07 23:46
    Svenderlunk vs Nakamura blitz...

    http://www.youtube.com/v/fcnJ2moP-K0

    And a PGN of the game:

    http://hairulovchessmaniacs.blogspot.com/2007/06/svenderlunk-vs-nakamura.html
  10. Subscriber AttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    17 Sep '07 00:39
    My rating at blitz is 400-500 points lower than in slower play. I just need the time to work things out and you can't do that in blitz. Therefore, my rating on RHP is a lot higher than it would normally be, because I can take a lot of time to consider a lot of alternative moves, plans, and strategies, and I can much more easily see tactical shots.
  11. 17 Sep '07 00:42
    i've been up against blitz players who play their pieces back and forth just for the sake of moving. If you try to make sense out of their play, you waste time. It takes some time to figure out a way to break through if they arrange a phalanx of pawns straight across the board. I've seen lots of blitz players use blitz type openings like 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 Nc6
    3. Bc4... I've seen Nakamura play it, even in normal games. He plays so much blitz, its influence is obvious. When he plays at classical time control, he will sometimes ruin positions playing "shock" moves which can easily be turned aside, but which would be effective in blitz. In general i'm of the opinion that blitz can help your game if you realize the difference. If you try to play blitz-like openings in RHP you will likely get killed.
  12. Standard member Yuga
    Renaissance
    17 Sep '07 00:52
    Originally posted by synesis
    Svenderlunk vs Nakamura blitz...

    http://www.youtube.com/v/fcnJ2moP-K0

    And a PGN of the game:

    http://hairulovchessmaniacs.blogspot.com/2007/06/svenderlunk-vs-nakamura.html
    The time control for that game was 5 minutes vs. 10 seconds (which would explain Black's blunder). It was played at National Chess Congress in Philly last year - unfortunately I had to leave early so I didn't see the game.
  13. 17 Sep '07 00:56
    Originally posted by buddy2
    i've been up against blitz players who play their pieces back and forth just for the sake of moving.
    Well, this is decent strategy, if you're seriously ahead on time and there's a good chance your opponent will run out of time before they can checkmate you.

    However, shuffling pieces back and forth in the middle of the game like the Svenderlunk did in this video is just too passive. I guess he thought he had an impregnable defense, but Nakamura showed him just how wrong he was. Then again, an attack against Nakamura would have probably been just as futile.
  14. 17 Sep '07 00:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Yuga
    The time control for that game was 5 minutes vs. 10 seconds
    Oh. Wow. Well, that explains that, then.

    Still, with five minutes Svenderlunk should have been able to afford to take much more time to think of his response.
  15. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    17 Sep '07 02:56
    Originally posted by wormwood
    1095 and 1381p here. I should do something about it, some day...
    1300 & 1600 now, a year later. I'm still crap at blitz, but at least there's been some progress... still not doing much to address my speed chess problems though.