1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 02:423 edits
    I've played several games here at RHP in the last few months, as well as ICCF and USCF back in the 80's and 90's. I think they are all pretty good, but was wondering if anyone here can tell me their current organization preferences, and why they favor their choice over the others. I'm considering getting back into correspondence chess a bit deeper after about 20 years of relative inactivity, but a lot has changed on the chess scene in the last 2 decades. and want to make a good choice. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also -

Back in the late 90's I grew tired of chess, and thought I would never play in tournaments again, so I sold my chess books, clock, and kept only my old wooden set and vinyl roll up board. So, do I still need chess books, or is all of this info now on the internet? Any ideas in this area would be helpful as well. πŸ™‚
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 06:14
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 15:09
    1. If you want to play 1:1 correspondence, RHP is a good choice. I am not familiar with any other online platforms, so cannot compare. The RHP user interface is easy and intuitive to use, and there are literally thousands of players here.

2. If you want to play tournaments here, beware that several suspected engine users frequent them, so don't expect to take home the top the prize.

3. If you want to play team tournies, I suggest you look at the RHP league feature, rather than the clan system. The clan system is in the process of re-inventing itself right now after a year of turmoil.
  4. New Jersey
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 17:371 edit
    It all depend on the depth of your interest. Doubt you'll find chess professionals here - either playing or providing commentary, look elsewhere.
    For casual play, cleanish interface, reasonable subscription (though I haven't and really should considering I've been here 16+ years), it works.
    I am middle of the road so don't run into many engine users - they pass my rating level quickly. I only play 3/7 tournaments so keep my open games in check. Play many of the same people often.
    Don't get hung up on rating and enjoy.
    Dave
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 14:39
    Originally posted by dcpk
    It all depend on the depth of your interest. Doubt you'll find chess professionals here - either playing or providing commentary, look elsewhere.
    For casual play, cleanish interface, reasonable subscription (though I haven't and really should considering I've been here 16+ years), it works.
    I am middle of the road so don't run into many engine users - they pa ...[text shortened]... es in check. Play many of the same people often.
    Don't get hung up on rating and enjoy.
    Dave
    Thank You everyone. πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree