Arena 2.0.1 GUI Released

Arena 2.0.1 GUI Released

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR

Moves
24 Jan 09
1 edit

For those of you who haven't heard yet, a new version of the Arena GUI was recently released, version 2.0.1. If you've been using an older version (especially version 1.1), give this one a try. It just keeps getting better! And the free Rybka 2.2n2 engine (but sadly, no Rybka logo) comes bundled with the Arena 2.0.1 setup package, along with a handful of other engines.

Just click on the Arena Downloads link on the left-hand side of the page.

http://www.playwitharena.com/

Edit - P.S., I didn't care much for the default board colors, so I stole...er, I mean "borrowed" some wood board graphics and board sounds from some other chess programs, and now I think the board looks and sounds much better! 🙂

W
Angler

River City

Moves
24 Jan 09

It's easy enough to make a logo, if that's what you want.

Thanks for the notice.

MR

Moves
24 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
It's easy enough to make a logo, if that's what you want.

Thanks for the notice.
I actually have a very nice Rybka 2.2 logo, but I can't for the life of me remember where I found it.

Edit - There is a generic Rybka logo in pastel blue at the link below that's similar to the Rybka 2.2 logo that I no longer can locate.

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/Dave_logosA.html

T

ALG

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by Mad Rook
For those of you who haven't heard yet, a new version of the Arena GUI was recently released, version 2.0.1. If you've been using an older version (especially version 1.1), give this one a try. It just keeps getting better! And the free Rybka 2.2n2 engine (but sadly, no Rybka logo) comes bundled with the Arena 2.0.1 setup package, along with a handful of ot ...[text shortened]... from some other chess programs, and now I think the board looks and sounds much better! 🙂
Is it save? I don't have a virusscanner

MR

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by Thomaster
I've never had a virus-related problem with that site, so I suspect it's safe. But of course, I can't guarantee it.

T

ALG

Moves
24 Jan 09
1 edit

too late, I already downloaded it 🙂
I lost my first game 🙁

Is there a takeback option? 😳

MR

Moves
24 Jan 09

too late, I already downloaded it 🙂
I lost my first game 🙁
Oh, you want to actually be able to BEAT the computer?!?! 😉

You might want to find and install one of the engines that allows you to weaken its play, such as Hamsters, Ufim, Gromit, Anaconda (the new name for Gromit), and recent versions of Crafty (if the particular Crafty compile that you have was compiled with the "skill" switch).

If you need help locating one of these engines, I might be able to help you with it.

MR

Moves
24 Jan 09
1 edit

Is there a takeback option? 😳
Yes!!!!

But that's cheating, of course. 😀

T

ALG

Moves
24 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Oh, you want to actually be able to BEAT the computer?!?! 😉

You might want to find and install one of the engines that allows you to weaken its play, such as Hamsters, Ufim, Gromit, Anaconda (the new name for Gromit), and recent versions of Crafty (if the particular Crafty compile that you have was compiled with the "skill" switch).

If you need help locating one of these engines, I might be able to help you with it.
I turned off the infinite level 😛 Maybe I just have to concentrate more 😏

It's still equal, my only problem is my queen blocking my pawn blocking my bishop blocking my rook 😞

T

ALG

Moves
25 Jan 09

I will look at this programm tomorrow again. I'm too tired now (tomorrow I will win 🙂) and I managed to swap the colours (and I don't know how 🙄)

E

Moves
25 Jan 09

I gave it a shot. Wasted over an hour downloading it (slow dial up). Now it won't open. Classic.

MR

Moves
25 Jan 09

Originally posted by Eladar
I gave it a shot. Wasted over an hour downloading it (slow dial up). Now it won't open. Classic.
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Did the program even install? If not, it sounds to me like your download file may have been corrupted during the download.

If you want to find the cause of the problem, probably the first step is to check your downloaded file with a hasher program that can determine the md5 checksum of the file to see if it is corrupted. If you don't already have a hasher program, I've used both Karen's Hasher and MD5summer (both are free). I'm sure there are others, also.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/pthasher.asp
http://www.md5summer.org/

Here's the hash data for my downloaded file:

File name: arena_201_setup.exe
File size: 19362770 bytes (or approx 18,909 KB, or approx 18.47 MB)
md5 checksum (hash): F9866F2FC7A0B7303712ABEC5B6B59CE

(Note that some hash programs show the hash letters in lower case. In this case, there's no difference between lower case and upper case letters.)

If you get a different md5 checksum, then it's almost a certainty that your file is corrupted.

And as a sidenote, if you don't use a download manager for downloading files, you may want to consider using one to cut down on dropped and corrupted downloads. I've used Leechget for Internet Explorer and MetaProducts Download Express for Internet Explorer and Firefox. And there are others. Here's a list of downlaod managers available from FreewareFiles:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/cat_5_173_Download-Accelerators-Managers.html