Aronian: Turn Off the Dark

Aronian: Turn Off the Dark

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
08 Aug 18

Hello all–

I've had half this post sitting in my computer for several months now, and decided to finally finish it as I didn't have much time this past week. It's an exploration of part of Aronian's disastrous Candidates Tournament earlier this year, and I hope that you'll find it both instructive and enjoyable.

Blog Post 391

Best,
Orion Lehoczky Escobar

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
10 Aug 18

Excellent stuff, Aronian was my pick to win also, considering the excellent year he had up to that point.

It seems he may be the best player never to challenge for the title,
as he always crumbles when it comes to the candidates.

Cheers,
Zak

p.s. I already had a fantasy football team made for work, so I've joined your mini-league also.
Let's hope more people join, perhaps mention it in the general forum or sports forum?

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
12 Aug 18

I think his getting married took some of the fire out of him. Life-changing events like that can take some adjusting sometimes.

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Aug 18
1 edit

Sometimes strong players agree to a draw in a complicated position because they’re tired and don’t want to risk making a weak move and screwing it up. Or simply because they’ve run out of ideas and don’t have a plan to continue. Or because GMs are very much better than we are and know that the chances are even, even though it is complicated. (Aronian, candidates 2018, first two rounds.)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Aug 18

Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
Excellent stuff, Aronian was my pick to win also, considering the excellent year he had up to that point.

It seems he may be the best player never to challenge for the title,
as he always crumbles when it comes to the candidates.

Cheers,
Zak

p.s. I already had a fantasy football team made for work, so I've joined your mini-league also.
Let's hope more people join, perhaps mention it in the general forum or sports forum?
Don't forget Paul Keres, same issue.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Aug 18

Originally posted by @hikarushindo
Hello all–

I've had half this post sitting in my computer for several months now, and decided to finally finish it as I didn't have much time this past week. It's an exploration of part of Aronian's disastrous Candidates Tournament earlier this year, and I hope that you'll find it both instructive and enjoyable.

Blog Post 391

Best,
Orion Lehoczky Escobar
In the game with Kramnik, why didn't Kram do QUEEN to g2 mate rather than screw around with g2 which is not immediate mate?

Moves
14 Aug 18

@sonhouse queen is pinned to Ke8 by Re1

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Aug 18

Originally posted by @hikarushindo
@sonhouse queen is pinned to Ke8 by Re1
Ah, there was that minor detail🙂