1. Joined
    06 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 12:28
    well then dear high-level players here, would you be so kind to recommend a good easy to read book about defensive chess for a woodpusher who always gets crushed if his opponent gets the initiative 🙂
  2. back in business
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:13
    I have a better suggestion; dont give the initiative to your opponent.
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:34
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    I have a better suggestion; dont give the initiative to your opponent.
    Its easy to say. Show me player who have never defended worse positions, where opponent has iniacitive.
  4. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:54
    I think there is one by Mihail Marin which is good.. don't remember the name though.
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 17:25
    Originally posted by Furling
    well then dear high-level players here, would you be so kind to recommend a good easy to read book about defensive chess for a woodpusher who always gets crushed if his opponent gets the initiative 🙂
    I think that you need to know your style and copy players who will defend the way you would defend.

Korchnoi would deliberately give his opponent a target so as to counterpunch.

Petrosian would give no target and wait and wait.

Kasparov would launch an attack, often on the king.

Aleckhine would just complicate more and more.

Me, if I am losing I go to pieces, but I try to follow the idea that if I am losing, swap pawns. If I am winning swap pieces. My biggest problem is that if I am losing I play too correctly.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 17:31
    Originally posted by Furling
    I've heard of a book called "Art of Defense in Chess" but have no idea of it's quality.
  7. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 21:22
    The Polugayevsky book is good. I don't know about the Soltis book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree