Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    30 Jan '13 15:58
    1330Elo

    People have said it is odd that a slightly above average player has such a large following.
  2. 30 Jan '13 16:23
    Just in case anyone doesn't know what you're talking about:
    http://www.chessblog.com/2012/08/12-year-old-chess-player-from-canada-on.html
  3. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    30 Jan '13 16:36
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Just in case anyone doesn't know what you're talking about:
    http://www.chessblog.com/2012/08/12-year-old-chess-player-from-canada-on.html
    Thanks Fat Lady. I've seen her all over at different sites, I assumed ACG was a household word.
  4. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    30 Jan '13 16:47
    I had never heard of her until this post. She has a Facebook page and is trying to create a Girls Chess Foundation. She is looking for corporate sponsors.

    She is a 13-year old girl who loves and promotes chess. She is great for our game. I don't think her elo makes any difference. I wish her the best of luck. We need more kids like her.

    www.GirlsCanadianChess.com
  5. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    30 Jan '13 16:57
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I had never heard of her until this post. She has a Facebook page and is trying to create a Girls Chess Foundation. She is looking for corporate sponsors.

    She is a 13-year old girl who loves and promotes chess. She is great for our game. I don't think her elo makes any difference. I wish her the best of luck. We need more kids like her.

    www.GirlsCanadianChess.com
    I agree. In the chess world Elo seems to mean an awful lot at times.
    She's a bright young player and an asset to the chess world.
    http://ashleychessgirl.com/
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    30 Jan '13 18:43
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Just in case anyone doesn't know what you're talking about:
    http://www.chessblog.com/2012/08/12-year-old-chess-player-from-canada-on.html
    From looking at her picture, I would say all the hype is because she has the potential to be a good-looking woman in chess. That's my take.
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Jan '13 18:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I agree. In the chess world Elo seems to mean an awful lot at times.
    She's a bright young player and an asset to the chess world.
    http://ashleychessgirl.com/
    And there is this Ugandan teenager who now has a rating of 1600 and change:

    http://www.sportsgrid.com/espn/espn-employees-lose-to-african-prodigy-in-chess/

    She played this putz who she beat in 9 minutes on a giant chessboard. I think it would have taken AT LEAST 10 minutes to have whooped my sorry butt
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    30 Jan '13 19:11 / 1 edit
    Maybe it will give rise to a new generation of chess stars that are well below 2000. I like that idea. What a great thing for chess.
  9. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    30 Jan '13 19:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    From looking at her picture, I would say all the hype is because she has the potential to be a good-looking woman in chess. That's my take.
    I'm with RJ on this one. While I agree with everyone else on how its great for the game and all that. One has to believe if she was overweight and sporting enough acne for the entire 7th grade this wouldn't be such a big deal.
  10. 30 Jan '13 21:22
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I'm with RJ on this one. While I agree with everyone else on how its great for the game and all that. One has to believe if she was overweight and sporting enough acne for the entire 7th grade this wouldn't be such a big deal.
    Indeed, am I bada$$ if I say I hope she gets a pasting?
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    30 Jan '13 21:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed, am I bada$$ if I say I hope she gets a pasting?
    It want matter if she grows up sexy enough. I imagine she is already sexy enough for the young chess playing boys.
  12. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    31 Jan '13 00:24
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I'm with RJ on this one. While I agree with everyone else on how its great for the game and all that. One has to believe if she was overweight and sporting enough acne for the entire 7th grade this wouldn't be such a big deal.
    Of course looks play a part, as it does in all 'sports'. Danica Patrick (auto racing), Ronda Rousey (MMA), Laura Baugh (golf), Anna Kournikova (tennis)...all played a part in bringing interest to their fields. In chess we already have Alexandra Kosteniuk, Sopiko Guramishvili, Anna Muzychuk, Tania Sachdev, Alisa Melekhina, Anastasia Gavrilova, Vanessa Feliciano-Ebert...but they're all grown women and accomplished players. Calling Ashley cute or pretty is fine, but 'sexy' is a little creepy.
  13. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    31 Jan '13 01:21
    Duchess64, are you there? Hello? Hello?
  14. 31 Jan '13 02:25
    Imagine if Selena Gomez starts playing chess.
  15. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    31 Jan '13 02:25
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Duchess64, are you there? Hello? Hello?
    1 GIP, last moved 6 days and change.
    I didn't always agree with her, but she sure added something to these fora.