1. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 14:39
    Hi all
    how do you attack/open up a fianchettoed position.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:08
    My subexpert opinion is capture the fianchettoed bishop. Use the a and or h pawns to open up the a and or h files,or provoke your opponent's a and or h pawns forward thus weakening the position.

Hopefully others can correct and or expand on my theory.

I believe there's a book titled "Beating Fianchetto Defenses" or something like that.

Good luck 🙂
  3. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:21
    My subexpert opinion is that it's always worth bearing in mind the strategy of lining up your queen and same-coloured bishop on the diagonal and force an exchange of bishops on h6/g5 or h3/g2.
  4. In attack
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:35
    I guess it varies with each version and the board.
    My non-expert opinion for attacking the dragon is as follows:

The above can be combated, and can remain a just threat instead of being acted upon during the game, but it is one of the first things I think of doing when someone gets all dragony on me.

My 2p 🙂
  5. Joined
    17 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:39
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1012309

Sacrificing a knight on f5 has been played often.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '11
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:44
    Originally posted by morgski
    I guess it varies with each version and the board.
    My non-expert opinion for attacking the dragon is as follows:

[pgn]1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 {Classic Sicilian Dragon} 6. Be3 {Get the Bishop in front of the Queen, Bg5 also works} Bg7 {Bishop into position for black} 7.Qd2 {Now there is a way to prize it open by threatening an excha ...[text shortened]... it is one of the first things I think of doing when someone gets all dragony on me.

My 2p 🙂
    How should white respond after 7...Ng4 though?
  7. In attack
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 15:541 edit
    Originally posted by UnderPromote
    How should white respond after 7...Ng4 though?
    With difficulty, I basically used the pgn to get to the point I was trying to make as quickly as possible. I guess the more sound move is 6.Bg5, but that invites h6. That can be good as a means of breaking pawn structure and discouraging castling on that side... Alternatives are Bd2 Qc1 but then you've got to make sure the central pieces are covered.

In summary, there are holes, as with a lot of my chess, but the point I was trying to illustrate that a good way of breaking the fianchetto is to have the bishop and queen on the diagonal adjacent to the long one...
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 16:27
    Throw pawns at it.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '11
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 20:21
    Originally posted by morgski
    With difficulty, I basically used the pgn to get to the point I was trying to make as quickly as possible. I guess the more sound move is 6.Bg5, but that invites h6. That can be good as a means of breaking pawn structure and discouraging castling on that side... Alternatives are Bd2 Qc1 but then you've got to make sure the central pieces are covered.

In s ...[text shortened]... king the fianchetto is to have the bishop and queen on the diagonal adjacent to the long one...
    Not really, you just had your move order mixed up. The move 7.f3 prevents 7...Ng4 and 8.Qd2 can then follow this, allowing for the same idea that you had mentioned but without the risk of that knight doing damage.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 22:18
    Originally posted by dzhafner
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1012309

Sacrificing a knight on f5 has been played often.
    This is called a "Benoni Jump". Worth knowing!
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 01:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Throw pawns at it.
    Better still to throw pawns at your opponent!
  12. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 06:202 edits
    it has been uncommented so far in a different thread, and there must be a reason for it (people fell asleep during the read or so)... which means, i shouldnt post it again...

but as it fits the topic, here a game with an unusual way to break up the fianchetto. am still curious, if people can find if it was sound or not... it was very tempting, because of two bishops pointing at the pawns of the king side...

good night!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree