1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:03
    Can you give some advice on how to formulate a successful attack on your opponent? What is your "plan of attack" when playing as white or as black?
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:06
    are you talking about an attack on the enemy king? or just an attack in general?
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:083 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    19 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:12
    It`s quite simple actually, and involves three steps.

1. Develop your pieces to their optimum attacking spots.
    2. Open the enemy king using either kingside or queenside pawns. (Depending on which side he castled).
    3. Checkmate
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:19
    Originally posted by Stockton
    are you talking about an attack on the enemy king? or just an attack in general?
    either one
  7. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:22
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    thats some great advice there, I think I will get that book, "Art of Attack in Chess"

Thanks alot!
  8. Standard memberTheQuinnOfAMS
    Chessplaya
    NY
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:231 edit
    1. You must have a positional advantage, it could be space, material, better minor piece(s), opposite colored bishops, lead in development, etc.

2. You must have a degree of control on the center and space advantage on K-Side

3. Manuever pieces to best squares and induce weaknesses in the enemy position. These could include an h7-h6, g7-g6, etc.

4. If the center is locked, the position may call for a pawn storm or bayonette attack. If not, a piece sacrifice is almost always used to break open the enemy position, targetting the weaknesses. This is also used to open diagonals, files, or bring new pieces into the attack with tempo

5. After the pawn or piece breakthrough, the rest is mainly tactics. More sacrifices could be used to break down the enemy position or weave the mating net. However, most attacks end only in material advantage or transition into the endgame.

Lastly, you must always consider your own king safety. Preferably where your opponent cannot check you king, therefore gaining tempo. Counterattacks are common since the opponent is often at an advantage in material, or can sacrifice material back for the initiative. Also watch out for central counterthrusts by the opponent.

*The Art of Attack is a great book and I have read it. Storming the Barricades by Larry Christiensen, Fire On Board, or Alekhine/Kasparov games are all great for studying the method of attack.

The Keres book about the Middlegame has good parts about attack but it's a very small book with only a few snapshot of the big picture so I wouldn't buy it if you want an attacking manual. It is very inexpensive to purchase used, however, so still a great deal.
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 20:48
    Originally posted by Akashic
    It`s quite simple actually, and involves three steps.

1. Develop your pieces to their optimum attacking spots.
    2. Open the enemy king using either kingside or queenside pawns. (Depending on which side he castled).
    3. Checkmate
    Ah,...

Now I see.

I´ll just have to checkmate my opponent and then I win.
    Well lets try that then! 😛
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 21:21
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Can you give some advice on how to formulate a successful attack on your opponent? What is your "plan of attack" when playing as white or as black?
    Control the four center squares with an iron fist and that will really help you
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 08:46
    Originally posted by Judah1
    Control the four center squares with an iron fist and that will really help you
    I think that's a huge myth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree