Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 01 Jul '08 11:48
    From http://www.qualitychessbooks.com/default.aspx

    "27 June 2008 - The King’s Gambit by John Shaw to be published in September 2008



    We announced a long time ago that we would publish The King’s Gambit by Jan Pinski. Jan had other commitments so I, as a former King’s Gambiteer, am now writing this book. It is not a co-authorship: everything will be by me. I have been analysing since the start of the year, and we hope to publish in September in Europe with the book reaching the US perhaps six weeks later. The delay to the US is not by choice; it is unavoidable due to shipping, customs, etc.

    John Shaw"


    Quality Chess have a very good reputation (especially the Mihail Marin books) so let's see if this will be a valuable addition or not.
    I may get it if reviews are good and the book has plenty of new analysis but we shall see.
  2. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    01 Jul '08 13:03
    but.. but... mr. Fischer said KG no good ... ? you play against it and lose... KG bad.
  3. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    01 Jul '08 13:24
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    but.. but... mr. Fischer said KG no good ... ? you play against it and lose... KG bad.
    After his "KG refutation article" (1961) Fischer have used KG sometimes with good results.
  4. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    01 Jul '08 13:27
    Originally posted by Korch
    After his "KG refutation article" (1961) Fischer have used KG sometimes with good results.
    Isn't that a paradox ?
  5. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    01 Jul '08 13:30
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Isn't that a paradox ?
    Its admission of mistake.
  6. 01 Jul '08 16:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    but.. but... mr. Fischer said KG no good ... ? you play against it and lose... KG bad.
    To be exact about it, Fischer claimed the King's Knight's Gambit (3.Nf3) was unsound. He later played the King's Bishop's Gambit (3.Bc4) a few times.
  7. 01 Jul '08 16:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    From http://www.qualitychessbooks.com/default.aspx

    "27 June 2008 - The King’s Gambit by John Shaw to be published in September 2008



    We announced a long time ago that we would publish The King’s Gambit by Jan Pinski. Jan had other commitments so I, as a former King’s Gambiteer, am now writing this book. It is not a co-authorship: everything ...[text shortened]... I may get it if reviews are good and the book has plenty of new analysis but we shall see.
    It will be interesting to see what John Shaw comes up with, though the last time I spoke to him about the KG he was pretty scathing about the opening, so it may not exactly be a labour of love on his part.
  8. 01 Jul '08 17:30
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    It will be interesting to see what John Shaw comes up with, though the last time I spoke to him about the KG he was pretty scathing about the opening, so it may not exactly be a labour of love on his part.
    A shame Joseph Gallagher doesn't seem to want to do a new one, or a book by Short or Fedorov or anyone who actually likes playing it!
  9. 01 Jul '08 17:39
    I love the playing the King's Gambit but am rather new to it. What should be my first approach to studying it?
  10. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    01 Jul '08 17:42
    Originally posted by hany3
    I love the playing the King's Gambit but am rather new to it. What should be my first approach to studying it?
    Play through some classic games from yesteryear would be my suggestion ... 18th/19th century jobs. Will be theoeretically irrelevant for the most part but lots of fun and will give you an idea why the King's Gambit has been so popular for so long.

    After that look at some more modern games ... Bronstein springs to mind.

    As for the book ... well let's be honest it's unlike to reveal any shatteringly new insights is it? A bit ropey but highly playable and fun (if you like that sort of thing) at club level is my prediction for the book's conclusion. Doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable read of course.
  11. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    01 Jul '08 17:44
    Originally posted by hany3
    I love the playing the King's Gambit but am rather new to it. What should be my first approach to studying it?
    Well, if you are serious about chess probably some book, or some articles on the internet (you can start with wikipedia) so you can quickly be familiar with common lines, ideas, plans... later, when something go wrong you can always post game here to be discussed.

    And look the KG tournament thread I just opened !



    I must say that wikipedia has nice chess opening articles ;

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Gambit
  12. 01 Jul '08 17:46
    Originally posted by hany3
    I love the playing the King's Gambit but am rather new to it. What should be my first approach to studying it?
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1006231
  13. 02 Jul '08 15:34
    As usual thanks fellas!
  14. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    02 Jul '08 15:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by hany3
    As usual thanks fellas!
    Look in the tournament section ; join KG thematic tounament ! It will start within a day or two !

    EDIT : eh, you are already there
  15. 02 Jul '08 16:44
    oh yeah....I wouldn't miss it!