1. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:242 edits
    Originally posted by Iere man
    thx tom, but are we absoultely sure it won't allow white a free move or something to neutralize or delay this new threat?..like moving the white queen to protect the white knight for instance...
    Let's play out the variation if White played Kh1. White might have been able to still get a draw, but it wouldn't have won. Keep in mind that these players were at the Super-GM level, so for the club-level player, we may have to take it on faith that Kh1 is bad 🙂. Even if it the move was perfectly playable it would still be a great escape for black.

2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:283 edits
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Let's play out the variation if White played Kh1. White might have been able to still get a draw, but it wouldn't have won.

[pgn]
    [FEN "2r3k1/1p2Bpp1/p3p1p1/bR1pP3/3P1nPQ/5N2/1P3PKP/8 w - - 0 1"]
    1. Kh1 Rc1+ 2. Ng1 Ne2 {White now has to deal with the immediate mate-in-one threat with Rxg1.} 3. h3 axb5 4. Qg5 Rxg1+ 5. Kh2 Rb1 6. Qe3 Rxb2 7. Qa3 Bc3 {B ...[text shortened]... on. White has no winning chances, so it was better off taking the perpetual draw.}
    * [/pgn]
    Instead of taking with the rook retreat it to a1 that way you can take with the knight and cause more complications.
  3. Joined
    29 Sep '10
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:37
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The only square the queen can go to protect the knight is under attack by black's knight so 3.Qg3 Nxg3+ and game over.
    I agree that square is under attack, so in essence white will be sacrificing the queen but at least white can get rid of the black knight in the exchange and slow the attack and give himself a chance to regroup, albeit a very slim one...anyways, I see someone played out a different scenario with push pawn (h3) but i wonder how the queen sac may have turned out or maybe some other scenario involving the white rook?...can't be arsed with it right now just throwing out ideas for whoever can be, and who knows? one day these different analyses may prove to be helpful for us...
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:40
    I agree that square is under attack, so in essence white will be sacrificing the queen but at least white can get rid of the black knight in the exchange and slow the attack and give himself a chance to regroup, albeit a very slim one...anyways, I see someone played out a different scenario with push pawn (h3) but i wonder how the queen sac may have turned ...[text shortened]... oever can be, and who knows? one day these different analyses may prove to be helpful for us...
    Well it is taken with check in that variation and whites rook is also under attack so white would just lose way too much. Just take the draw, why not? Why take a "very slim" chance when you can just take the draw immediately? It's not hard to calculate the variations in the end position.
  5. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:473 edits
    I agree that square is under attack, so in essence white will be sacrificing the queen but at least white can get rid of the black knight in the exchange and slow the attack and give himself a chance to regroup, albeit a very slim one...anyways, I see someone played out a different scenario with push pawn (h3) but i wonder how the queen sac may have turned oever can be, and who knows? one day these different analyses may prove to be helpful for us...
    You mean if instead of playing h3, White played Queen to g3?, then 1... Nxg3+ 2. Kg2 axb5 and clearly White is losing.
  6. Joined
    29 Sep '10
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:48
    great advice tom, especially for amateurs like me 🙂...
  7. e4
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 01:15
    It's a perpetual perpetual 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree