03 Aug '08 18:174 edits
    Anyone else find these openings a pain in the arse to play against

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

I play 1...d5 against 1.d4 and my club collegues say that after 1...d5 Black is in for a dull game.

What do other people play as Black against these awful systems.

This was sparked by a recent OTB game against a ECF 137 player I had last week, where I was Black, I played it okay according to Fritz but all the way through I hated my position. To the point where my position went slowly downhill only to claw back to a drawn position to later win on time!!!

I SAY BAN THE LOT OF EM!!
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:20
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

I play 1...d5 against 1.d4 and my club collegues say that after 1...d5 Black is in for a dull game.

This was sparked by a recent OTB game against a BCF 1 ...[text shortened]... nly to claw back to a drawn position to later win on time!!!

[b]I SAY BAN THE LOT OF EM!!
    [/b]
    Play 1. d4 .. Nf6 and avoid the lot!
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:21

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

This was sparked by a recent OTB game against a BCF 1 ...[text shortened]... hill only to rescue a drawn position to later win on time!!!

[/b]
    It`s better to learn playing against these systems instead of ban 😛

Personally from these systems you mentioned I have had problems only against London system.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:21
    Gee. So you play a dull line against a strategic opening, and then blame the line for being dull. Fascinating.

(By the way, you are a great player and I am no match for you, so I'm only responding in fun!) 😉
  5. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:28
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    The quesion I suppose I am asking is whether there are more aggresive systems against this tosh after Black plays 1...Nf6.

Problem is I only play the NID ater 1...Nf6, are NID type systems more aggressive against 1.d4 tosh than 1...d5 systems?

I may have to refer to my copy of

Dealing with d4 Deviations: Fighting the Trompowsky, Torre, Blackmar-Diemer, Stonewall, Colle and other problem openings

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=266
  6. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:31

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

This was sparked by a recent OTB game against a ECF 1 ...[text shortened]... nly to claw back to a drawn position to later win on time!!!

[/b]
    I used to hate playing against them, but much the same as yourself I ended up losing games because of this 'negative' feeling.

Now i see it as my goal in life to win against them, and prove to the 'white' player that they should mend their ways and learn a real opening!

Basically, give yourself a reason to enjoy the game, even if it is a 'dull' opening.
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:45

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

This was sparked by a recent OTB game against a ECF 1 ...[text shortened]... nly to claw back to a drawn position to later win on time!!!

[/b]
    same feeling here...can you please post your game?
  8. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    same feeling here...can you please post your game?
    Here is the game It's not too high standard, especially nearer the end as we both were very short on time.

He should have won on a couple of occasions move 33 & 34 were mistakes by White. (33.Bd6+ wins for White and 34.Kd3 wins for White)

9. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:55

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

[/b]
    You play 1. ..d5, right? Just play Nc6, Bg4 and aim for a quick ..e5. This should equalize comfortably.

You don't avoid any of those with 1. ..Nf6.
  10. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:57
    Here is the game It's not too high standard, especially nearer the end as we both were very short on time.

He should have won on a couple of occasions move 33 & 34 were mistakes by White. (33.Bd6+ wins for White and 34.Kd3 wins for White)

[pgn]1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 Bf5 4.e3 e6 5.c4 c6 6.Qb3 Qb6
    7.c5 Qxb3 8.axb3 Nbd7 9.h3 Bxb1 10.Rxb1 Ne4 11.b ...[text shortened]... Bxf2
    38.Rh8 Kd6 39.Kd3 Ke5 40.Ke2 Bg1 41.Rxh7 d4 42.Rb7 Kf4
    43.Rb4 Be3 44.Rb2 Kg3 0-1[/pgn]
    6. ..Qc8 or 6. ..b6 wouldn't present black much trouble. The resulting queenless middlegame after 7. c5 is very comfortable for white because of his play on the a-file; the doubled b-pawn can be used as a battering ram.
  11. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 18:59
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    You play 1. ..d5, right? Just play Nc6, Bg4 and aim for a quick ..e5. This should equalize comfortably.

[b]Play 1. d4 .. Nf6 and avoid the lot!

You don't avoid any of those with 1. ..Nf6.[/b]
    The problem with this is

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c4

I have to play the Chigorin

I don't play the Chigorin
  12. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 19:022 edits
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    6. ..Qc8 or 6. ..b6 wouldn't present black much trouble. The resulting queenless middlegame after 7. c5 is very comfortable for white because of his play on the a-file; the doubled b-pawn can be used as a battering ram.
    I don't think Black is any worse after Qb6. However I agree White's position is probably easier to play due to his space advantage.

I should have played 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5
  13. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 19:21
    I'm holding my nose & jumping right in this season OTB with a cunning plan to destroy the spirit of the 1.d4 player.
    The answer:
    1...e5!
  14. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 19:22

1.d4

London System
    Colle
    Veresov
    Trompowsky
    Torre

[/b]
    Maybe play the Dutch? Or at least have it in your repertoire for when you play these boring bastards!
  15. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 19:24
    The problem with this is

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c4

I have to play the Chigorin

I don't play the Chigorin
    Maybe 3. ..e5!? with a likely tranposition to the Albin? (I thought you played that)

In any case, after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 Nc6, 3. Nf3 isn't really critical (in my opinion 3. cxd5 and 3. Nc3 are the most testing replies) so it shouldn't be too hard to implement this in your repertoire.

It's worth the trouble for finding a good response to all those pesky 1. d4 systems.

I don't think Black is any worse after Qb6. However I agree White's position is probably easier to play due to his space advantage.

I should have played 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5

Easier to play indeed, as usual..

The 3. ..c5 line is another way to equalize, as long as you follow it up with Bf5 or Bg4 before moving ..e6.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree