1. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '13 23:412 edits
    So other than missing taking a free pawn, are there any critical moves I could've played before and after the so-called sac?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 00:121 edit
    Originally posted by hamworld
    So other than missing taking a free pawn, are there any critical moves I could've played before and after the so-called sac?
    [pgn][Event "FICS rated standard game"] [Site "FICS freechess.org"] [Date "2013.06.09"] [Round "?"] [White "thekingofham"] [Black "Aul"] [Result "1-0"] [BlackElo "2900"] [ECO "C01"] [Opening "French"] [Time "15:01:00"] [Variation "Ex 1. Kd4 Ke7 62. Ke5 g5 63. Nxg5 {Black resigns} 1-0[/pgn]
    I just wonder what you were trying to gain from the sac? It seems to me that you gave up a piece with greater value and at the same time balanced the pawn structure giving black an open file that you now cant contest because you lack the power.

After you play 32.f3 I think black just didnt realize the full potential of the position. He continued his plan to double the rooks on the e file without pondering what their purpose would be, open files are tools and since you have only one rook it only takes one to control a file... Imo at this point their are two things black can think about which should have been in the works even before this. First, get his king to defend c6, post his rooks on the open files and then push his kingside pawns. Second, play Rd8 and push his d pawn.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 00:20
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I just wonder what you were trying to gain from the sac? It seems to me that you gave up a piece with greater value and at the same time balanced the pawn structure giving black an open file that you now cant contest because you lack the power.
    I guess I figured if I blockaded the c6 pawn, I'd have an easier time taking it and then eventually queen the advanced pawns.

I wish I had more profound thoughts here...
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 00:531 edit
    I guess I figured if I blockaded the c6 pawn, I'd have an easier time taking it and then eventually queen the advanced pawns.

I wish I had more profound thoughts here...
    I added an edit.

Well, you won but i think that was because you are a better player, not because of the sac.
  5. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:28
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I added an edit.

Well, you won but i think that was because you are a better player, not because of the sac.
    Yeah, you're right. Maybe instead of 15.b4 weakening the c4 square and letting black get a knight outpost there. I could've just played 15. c4 with similar ideas to the anti nimzo indian? perhaps 15. c4 Nb6 16.b4?!
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:412 edits
    Yeah, you're right. Maybe instead of 15.b4 weakening the c4 square and letting black get a knight outpost there. I could've just played 15. c4 with similar ideas to the anti nimzo indian? perhaps 15. c4 Nb6 16.b4?!
    I am not good enough to decide which line is better but I would say after 15.c4 black may be better off playing 15...Nc7 to leave his b pawn with some mobility so he can play ...b5 or maybe ...b6-c5.

Looking at it 15.c4 does seems to pose more problems for black and makes me think plack should have played 14...b5 as he had no pressing need to castle.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 01:52
    [pgn][Event "FICS rated standard game"] [Site "FICS freechess.org"] [Date "2013.06.09"] [Round "?"] [White "thekingofham"] [Black "Aul"] [Result "1-0"] [BlackElo "2900"] [ECO "C01"] [Opening "French"] [Time "15:01:00"] [Variation "Ex ...[text shortened]... 1. Kd4 Ke7 62. Ke5 g5 63. Nxg5 {Black resigns} 1-0[/pgn]
    IMO in the Caro Kann white's most important piece is his King's bishop. Way to go just trade it off.😞
  8. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 02:151 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    IMO in the Caro Kann white's most important piece is his King's bishop. Way to go just trade it off.😞
    Ouch. Actually, I looked a game where Karpov exchanged white bishops too. Only instead he played h4-h5 and castled queenside. Actually, that seems to be his go-to strategy. I wonder if it's because it could be a bad idea to castle kingside when you play h5?

Do you think if White is planning to castle kingside he should keep his light bishop?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 04:11
    Ouch. Actually, I looked a game where Karpov exchanged white bishops too. Only instead he played h4-h5 and castled queenside. Actually, that seems to be his go-to strategy. I wonder if it's because it could be a bad idea to castle kingside when you play h5?

Do you think if White is planning to castle kingside he should keep his light bishop?
    Of course everyone has different ideas and can use their own ideas successfully. My coach often plays the CK and in his opinion one of the (often) problem pieces is black's Q Bishop. Often it is a troublesome piece for black to effectively develop. I used to play Bd3 in similar variations to exchange off the Bs. He clued me into his insights and convinced me that white's K Bishop often has potential to be the best piece on the board. Exchanging it seems to help black in many cases. (IMO)
    I usually do well against the CK and some of my regular opponents have quit playing it against me all together. 🙂
  10. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 07:37
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Of course everyone has different ideas and can use their own ideas successfully. My coach often plays the CK and in his opinion one of the (often) problem pieces is black's Q Bishop. Often it is a troublesome piece for black to effectively develop. I used to play Bd3 in similar variations to exchange off the Bs. He clued me into his insights and convince ...[text shortened]... ainst the CK and some of my regular opponents have quit playing it against me all together. 🙂
    Hmm. If I play normally here, I can't see a major difference between Bc4 and Bd3.

I probably should just resort to attacking via 8.Ne5 Bh7 9.Bc4 to put black on the defensive(would prefer not to attack so early but that is probably the best use of the bishop) i.e http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1557371

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree