1. Berks.
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 21:17
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Yeah but that's only part of the story.
    The only real reason to create multiple accounts is to boost the ratings of one or more particular account by playing each one against the others & manipulating the results.
    These people are easily caught by looking at the previous games - ie resignations early on for no reason.
    I often look at people's previou ...[text shortened]... se in an opening, so something like a series of short games would stick out like a sore thumb.
    Looking at most of the 3(a) players is that they want more games than the free membership offers.
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 23:51
    Regarding multiple accounts:

If the moderators use IP addresses to identify multiple accounts, what is the implication for households that have multiple accounts? I am a subscriber and have had an account since last fall. My daughter is becoming interested in chess so I allowed her to set up a non-subscriber account when she turned thirteen. Since I have only one computer, both our accounts will display the same IP address.

Do the moderators just automatically ban people or do they investigate first to see whether there is an explanation for multiple accounts coming from the same IP address?
  3. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    12 Mar '07 01:54
    I don't think you'll have to worry about being banned, unless you use your account to boost your daughters rating!😵
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    12 Mar '07 11:54
    Originally posted by Hanover
    Regarding multiple accounts:

If the moderators use IP addresses to identify multiple accounts, what is the implication for households that have multiple accounts? I am a subscriber and have had an account since last fall. My daughter is becoming interested in chess so I allowed her to set up a non-subscriber account when she turned thirteen. Since I ha ...[text shortened]... st to see whether there is an explanation for multiple accounts coming from the same IP address?
    I am sure they wouldn't use the IP address as the only criteria for banning people. It is far too unreliable. For example, many people have dynamic IP addresses (changes all the time).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree