1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 05:47
    I just noticed that a player I had played in the past has been banned from the site. What's to stop him from simply opening another account and continuing to play at RHP? Secondarily, I would also be interested to know if there is any way I could find out why he got banned. Thanks.
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 05:59
    The mods are very good at identifying multiple accounts.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/removedplayers.php

This is the link to the list of banned players. Find your opponent here, then look at the key: 3(a) = multiple accounts, 3(b) = engine use/outside help, 3(c) = harassment. You can find it on your own by visiting the site map and then finding the link to the list of removed players.
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 06:04
    Thanks -- great answer. Now, can you tell me hHow to get to the site map?
  4. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 06:11
    Originally posted by basso
    Thanks -- great answer. Now, can you tell me hHow to get to the site map?
    Look...
    down....
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 06:19
    It tends to be easy to spot multiple account users because they're too stupid to vary the names of the accounts
  6. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 11:26
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    It tends to be easy to spot multiple account users because they're too stupid to vary the names of the accounts
    I'm thinking willray, willrayyy, willrayray, etc...
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 11:31
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I used to be a moderator on a forum & you can display everyone's IP address alongside their username & email address then compare.
    Although it's not fool-proof it can be very useful & I think RHP probably have a similar page for mods here.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 00:05
    I wish someone would ban me. I don't care why but if they do I can get back to earning a living and having a life.
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 00:34
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I used to be a moderator on a forum & you can display everyone's IP address alongside their username & email address then compare.
    Although it's not fool-proof it can be very useful & I think RHP probably have a similar page for mods here.
    Seems to me this could be easily circumvented. Once someone is banned, all they would need to do is open another account on another computer. They could also give another email address after getting another one any number of places. Not exactly rocket science.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 01:30
    i am the willrays will ray will ray rules i am back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 08:16
    Originally posted by basso
    Seems to me this could be easily circumvented. Once someone is banned, all they would need to do is open another account on another computer. They could also give another email address after getting another one any number of places. Not exactly rocket science.
    Yeah but that's only part of the story.
    The only real reason to create multiple accounts is to boost the ratings of one or more particular account by playing each one against the others & manipulating the results.
    These people are easily caught by looking at the previous games - ie resignations early on for no reason.
    I often look at people's previous games to see their likely response in an opening, so something like a series of short games would stick out like a sore thumb.
  12. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 08:49
    The list of banned people seems to get longer and longer! Any thoughts on why people cheat or are so rude to people on this site?
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 10:16
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    The list of banned people seems to get longer and longer! Any thoughts on why people cheat or are so rude to people on this site?
    1. People cheat because they are sad gits who can't play chess and fail at everything else in their life so they seek a moment of glory;
    2. People are rude because they are sad gits who have no real opinions or ability and cannot hold a sensible conversation so they deride other people because it makes them feel good;
    3. People have multiple accounts so they can do 1 and 2 above and think it will help them not be caught. This is because they are sad gits who are also stupid!
  14. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 11:00
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    Welcome to the internet!!

Seriously though, try someplace like yahoo. It's not just chess that's bad there either. I tried playing bridge there before I discovered bridgebase. Actually, much of the web can be pretty terrible.
  15. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 19:38
    why do they do it? Why do people chop people up into little pieces and hide them in a closet? Why do people prey on children? I've long since stopped trying to get into the heads of crazy people. They do it because they're crazy and you're not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree