1. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 04:39
    Well Im going to be playing 0-1500 tourny in a week so I was wondering if theres anything you can do against higher graded people like keep the posiition simple/tradeoff?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:146 edits
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    Well Im going to be playing 0-1500 tourny in a week so I was wondering if theres anything you can do against higher graded people like keep the posiition simple/tradeoff?
    When I play OTB, I'm usually around the top of this range. Unless you are particularly good at endgames for someone of your rating, I think it is a losing overall strategy to simplify toward an even endgame against someone higher than you at this level. Your higher rated opponents will know how to handle endgame positions better than you will, and once you've traded most pieces off, you've also eliminated many of their chances to blunder. While your higher rated opponents are also likely to be tactically superior to you, if your overall strategy is to battle it out in a complicated middlegame, they'll at least have more chances to blunder. Games at this level are lost by blunders, not won by strategy.

Once you improve a couple hundred points, there should be less disparity between your endgame knowledge and your opponents'. Then, if you're playing up and will be satisfied with a draw, playing to simplify to an even endgame is a better strategy, since you will not be dominated by your opponent's knowledge. You'll be more likely to know how to draw an even endgame.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:22
    Ignore the fact that they are higher rated than you and play as best you can. Don't give them a pychological edge just because you have a lower rating.
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:25
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    When I play OTB, I'm usually around the top of this range. Unless you are particularly good at endgames for someone of your rating, I think it is a losing overall strategy to simplify toward an even endgame against someone higher than you at this level. Your higher rated opponents will know how to handle engame positions better than you will, and ...[text shortened]... ated by your opponent's knowledge. You'll be more likely to know how to draw an even endgame.
    Excellent response.

skeeter
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:33
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Excellent response.

skeeter
    They don't call me Doctor for nothing. Now if I could just step out of my Ivory Tower and put my theoretical understanding into practice, I could rise out of the under 1500 level. Chess is so damn hard once you sit down at the board.
  6. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 13:54
    ...I was wondering if theres anything you can do against higher graded people...
    Not really.
  7. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 13:55
    Only simplify if you're in a better position like a piece or a couple of pawns up. Otherwise, keep it complicated and keep maneouvring for advantage. Make a plan - any plan..
  8. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 15:08
    Don't play passively. It's deadly against higher rated players. They feed on it and will get an overwhelming position. At the same time, don't throw away pawns and pieces for the sake vague attacking possibilities. I guess, in the end, as someone already suggested, play your best game. Play the board, what's in front of you, as if they'd make the best possible moves in return. Do it in three steps: 1. what can he do to me (eap--examine all possiblities) If nothing of consequence 2. what can i do to him (eap) then 3. what can he do in return (eap) Then choose the best with these steps in mind. When you're examining all possibilites, start with pawn moves first, as (believe it or not) these are often overlooked because pawns look like the weakest element on board, but they can change the whole shape of the game.
  9. back in business
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 17:21
    play like normal. 1500 rated players arent gods and blunder from time to time. just be focused and do your best.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree