1. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:02
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I like Nf3 better than Nc3. tony and I have a game going on through messages and I played Nf3 and played fairly well. The game isn't over yet. If he wants the game to be put in the forums its ok by me. I think i is a good example from the white side. Then again I'm not a GM ;-)
    Nc3 is pretty solid in theory. Nc3 is strong against blacks center, otherwise the release of that pressure (like in the Winawer) wouldn't be to needed.

Of course Nf3 is playable, an early Knight developing move is almost always playable. However, stronger variant for white is Nc3.
  2. washington
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:16
    I disagree, it allows black to develop Bb4 and take the initiative and control. Nf3 doesn't allow Bb4 and white keeps the initiative.
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:26
    Originally posted by zebano

c. 3. Nd2 Nf6 e5 is in my estimation great for white.
    I think the Exchange Variation is great for black and what he wants.The Tarrasch is my personal favourite against the French, which I detest playing against otherwise. Thus: 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Nf6 4. e5 Nfd7 5. f4 - which sets up an early King-side attack because of Black's lack of defensive resources that side. Here, white's knights are the attackers and can combine nicely while the bishops shore up the Queen-side.
    You're right that 3. ... ne7 is better than nf6
  4. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:28
    I disagree, it allows black to develop Bb4 and take the initiative and control. Nf3 doesn't allow Bb4 and white keeps the initiative.
    White doesn't lose initiative after Nc3. Black develops a piece either way... and the pin is not effective.
  5. washington
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:43
    I think Nc3 is better delayed until after castling. Then it is more effective. It is harder for black to develop his black bishop, because white then gets to choose where the pressure of his black bishop will be. For instance if black plays his black bishop to any other square besides Be7 then white can play Bg5 and blacks bishop is out of place. White also develops a kingside piece which enables him to castle sooner. Nc3 threatens nothing after Bb4 and black already threatens to compromise whites pawns.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 23:101 edit
    I think Nc3 is better delayed until after castling. Then it is more effective. It is harder for black to develop his black bishop, because white then gets to choose where the pressure of his black bishop will be. For instance if black plays his black bishop to any other square besides Be7 then white can play Bg5 and blacks bishop is out of place. White also d ...[text shortened]... sooner. Nc3 threatens nothing after Bb4 and black already threatens to compromise whites pawns.
    2 points are of interest, one that the pin is effective, quite clearly it is not and secondly that the so called 'compromise' of whites pawns are a weakness, this is yet to be determined! in French defence dark squared bishop is very valuable piece, i do not think that any serious French player would willingly exchange it, if given the choice. all that a pinning move like Bb4 does is to help clarify the position, for example in the center with exd5 or e4-e5, nothing more. i would gladly exchange blacks dark squared bishop for a knight on c3 any day as white player, and thank the Frenchie for it.
  7. washington
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 00:01
    I've seen it done several times. I still like Nf3 better 😀
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 00:181 edit
    I play the French only occasionally, but I think that I'd consider playing it every game as Black if I knew my opponent would play the Exchange Variation. As long as Black avoids trading all the major pieces on the open e-file, (s)he has excellent winning chances (probably about as good as White's). A good way to avoid drawish positions is to play ...Bd6 and then ...Ne7 followed by O-O. Of course, at my amateur-level (1819 USCF) I'm not sure there's such a thing as a drawish position occuring early in the opening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree