Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    24 Jan '10 22:20 / 1 edit
    Forgive me if something along these lines has been posted before...

I am a senior in high school, and I am conducting a research paper on the beauty of chess as an intellectual art. I'm looking at the order, structure, logic, creativity, etc. of chess and chess players, and how they make the game, in my opinion, beautiful.

In short, I'm looking for suggestions on books or articles that might address these ideas. I'm not interested in books that explain how to play chess.

Currently, I have:

Kasparov's How Life Immitates Chess
    David Shenk's The Immortal Game
    Benjamin Franklin's "Morals of Chess"

Any suggestions appreciated.
  2. 24 Jan '10 22:26 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Forgive me if something along these lines has been posted before...

I am a senior in high school, and I am conducting a research paper on the beauty of chess as an intellectual art. I'm looking at the order, structure, logic, creativity, etc. of chess and chess players, and how they make the game, in my opinion, beautiful.

In short, I'm look Immortal Game[/i]
    Benjamin Franklin's "Morals of Chess"

Any suggestions appreciated.
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Learning-Journey-Optimal-Performance/dp/0743277465/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264371900&sr=1-1

I read this one, and I think it's precisely what you're looking for.

--

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Metaphors-Artificial-Intelligence-Human/dp/026218267X

this one I haven't read yet, but I can't wait!

--
    http://www.amazon.com/London-Elista-Championship-Vladimir-Kasparov/dp/9056912194

this one does include some serious chess analysis, but it's mainly the back stage stories of Kramnik's 3 WC matches, explained in an interview format by his seconds during the matches (except with the match againt Topalov, in which the authors weren't his seconds), and I think it's something you should have in your library.
  3. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    24 Jan '10 22:34
    GM Gufeld touched on this theme repeatedly in his works. I'd go to Amazon.com and look up "Gufeld chess" and check out the books that pop up. I believe he was the originator of the idea that chess occupies the nexus where sport, science, and art intersect, or something like that.
  4. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    24 Jan '10 22:57
    These are exactly the types of books/resources I'm looking for. Thanks for the help; more is appreciated!
  5. 24 Jan '10 23:39
    I know someone made a thesis on how chess programs could reproduce the aesthetic aspect of chess (which implies some formalization, for sure...) . It is available on the internet, I read part of it, but I can't find the link anymore. It is somewhere in a thread on RHP...

maybe others will remember that...
  6. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    25 Jan '10 07:28
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    These are exactly the types of books/resources I'm looking for. Thanks for the help; more is appreciated!
    The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin

This book attacks the subject matter in a different perspective.

-GIN
  7. 25 Jan '10 12:05 / 1 edit
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.