1. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:38
    What is the best chess book to buy for the beginner, that isn't too expensive or too complicated, just some easy reading for the simple minded chess player? and where can I find said book?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:39
    Originally posted by Drew L
    What is the best chess book to buy for the beginner, that isn't too expensive or too complicated, just some easy reading for the simple minded chess player? and where can I find said book?
    Winning Chess - there are 7 or 8 books in the series, try tactics first.
  3. washington
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:51
    attacking chess by josh waitzkin. i like this tactics book better. also bruce pandolfinis book weapons of chess shows some simple diagrams that pack a punch with how much knowlidge can come from it.
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:54
    i think it would be cool to have a whole forum for books...ask about them, rate them...talk about different chapters from ones we all have....
  5. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:55
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    i think it would be cool to have a whole forum for books...ask about them, rate them...talk about different chapters from ones we all have....
    indeed
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:351 edit
    How simple-minded, exactly? 😉

I haven't read any of Seirawan's Winning Chess series books, but a lot of people like them. The most basic one of his is "Play Winning Chess".

I have read Patrick Wolff's "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Chess", and I liked it very much. It doesn't get too deep into any one area. It just gives you a starting point in a number of areas. The writing style is geared more towards an adult or maybe an older teenager. A child or young teenager might have a little trouble understanding the somewhat adult style of writing. (Dan Heisman recommends the book for beginners over the age of 10.) Here's a new review of the book -

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review587.pdf

Edit - Also, if you want to consider more books, here's Dan Heisman's list of recommended books for different skill levels.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 05:07
    Logical chess move by move - Irving Chernev
  8. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 05:38
    If you dont mind descriptive notation, Eugene Znosko Borovsky's "How not to Play Chess" is only about 90 pages and only costs about 5 bucks. Its probably not as easy or as fun to read as Seirawains, but in a lot of ways I think its better in that it deals with planning, while Seirawain leaves that out until his later strategy book, focusing instead on general positional advantages like developing your pieces, playing with bishops in open positions and knights in closed, rooks on open files, and what not. I think the books would complement each other nicely.
  9. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 06:07
    Yasser Seirawans books as recommended in other threads are great and "Play Winning Chess" is the title from the series that covers all areas of the game.

Chess For Dummies is also a good book.

Most books that go beyond the very basics are going to require you to read notation: 1.e4...e5, 2.Nf3 etc. and if you don't all ready then this is worth learning. Once you are comfortable reading notation it opens up a whole world of chess books. You're right to ask for recommendations because it's not much use getting a book that's too advanced (just as if you were learning a language)

I too would love a section for book reviews on this site!
  10. Joined
    21 Jun '07
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 08:39
    Originally posted by kmac27
    attacking chess by josh waitzkin. i like this tactics book better. also bruce pandolfinis book weapons of chess shows some simple diagrams that pack a punch with how much knowlidge can come from it.
    I was listening to Waitzkin's comments on tactics and his games in Fritz 10. It sounds easy to understand when he talks about it and he gives a lot of good advices. Does anyone has his book in PDF maybe? I'd really like to read it
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:16
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Logical chess move by move - Irving Chernev
    Probably the ONLY chess book that I would call an absolute, unqualified "must read" is "Logical Chess Move by Move."
  12. Joined
    08 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 02:30
    With out a doubt I would vote for "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess"
    Very very good book for beginers
  13. over there
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:09
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Probably the ONLY chess book that I would call an absolute, unqualified "must read" is "Logical Chess Move by Move."
    Indeed. Everyone can learn from that book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree