1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 15:26
    Originally posted by wormwood
    chernev's "logical chess move by move".

it is the best book at revealing what chess really is about.
    Chess is really about "never, ever move a pawn in front of your king"?

Hm, I must have dreamed that Alekhine French, then.

I may be the last person you should ask, but IMAO, that book is greatly overrated. Pick up an Euwe book instead. Or Silman's "The Amateur's Mind" - his other books are, IYAM, for people who don't need a second book any more.

Richard
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 15:58
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Chess is really about "never, ever move a pawn in front of your king"?
    when you're starting up, very much so.

when you get to the point where opening study becomes relevant, say 1800+, THEN you start looking at stuff like pushing the castled pawns deliberately. many, if not most, attacking players won't go there even then.

do I practice what I preach? hell no, I start with 1.f4 & 1...f5 every chance I get. but I lose a lot of games because of it. and even those I do well in, I almost invariably get in trouble because of pushing those pawns.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 02:50
    Originally posted by Regiscyde
    I'm not looking for a debate on the validity of using books as learning tools here. After you know the basics (moves and basic tactics), what do you like for a 2nd chess book? What about after that one? Lots of choices out there, but I'm a 1200 player, so keep that in mind. Goal is to advance to the next step, which for me personally is 1400-1500. As a sep ...[text shortened]... ooks, as that's how I'm finding I learn best, but anecdotes are appreciated.

Many thanks!
    In looking back (my peak rating was 1720 USCF). I found it's best to start with one clear idea; A chess book is a guide, NOT a gospel. If you keep this in mind, you'll be less tempted to pay for books of little value to you. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest you purchase in the following order:

1. A beginning chess tactics book. Several good ones out there that can be purchased used on Amazon.com

2. A one volume openings book. Modern Chess Openings is a good choice

3. My System by Aaron Nimzovich: A bit dry in places, but a great choice.

As you progress you may consider a few volumes of Informants, or New In Chess. Just don't think a big library will give you an advantage. Sooner or later your opponent will stray from a "book" line, and you'll be left to find your own moves. I hope this helps. 😏
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 12:31
    It seems like a tactics book will be the way to go here. I already have Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics, but I'll be picking up Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way, as it's gotten slightly better reviews and has more problems. I also have Chernev's Logical Chess Move my Move, which I'll work thru the games whenever I get the chance or need a short break from tactics problems to play a full game.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 12:42
    Regi- Do whatever works for you, but I would suggest doing 10-20 tactics problems a day and set aside an hour for playing through a game slowly from Chernev. Playing slowly enough through a master game so you see threats, diagonals weak squares etc is critical for absorbing the annotations.
    As you get stronger both the amount of tactics (or difficulty) and the speed at which you can play through master games will increase.

Another piece of advice is really learn your board visualization- i.e. know the colors of every square and all the diagonals, know knight patterns by rote etc. Very important imo.
  6. e4
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 13:001 edit
    Hi Bill.

I would not rec Modern Chess Openings (MCO) to anyone starting out.
    Infact I would never rec it to anyone.

It just has the bare moves with no explanantion at all
    as to why you are making them.

Logical Chess will do him just fine to get the principles stamped.
    Then 'Most Instructive Games.' then play, play, play.

My System is a good choice but it must be one of the newer translations.

(also you must know the player you are suggesting it to. If he is very
    serious about improving then yes. If he is skirting on the fringes
    then a book like this may swamp him.)

This from Wiki:
    (my opinion is in italics )

In 1930, a British English edition titled My System, translated by Philip Hereford,
    was published by Harcourt, Brace and Company. This edition is out-of-print.

This is the complicated, humourless one. The layout is truly awful
    It's like walking through treacle. Avoid it.

In 1991, an American English edition titled My System: 21st Century Edition
    edited by Lou Hays, was published by Hays Publishing.
    In this edition, descriptive notation has been changed to algebraic notation and
    many diagrams have been added.

This is OK and the lay out is much better, far more readable.

However...

In 2007, a British edition titled My System, translated by Ian Adams,
    published by Quality Chess

This edition uses a brand-new translation that recreates the author's original intentions.
    For the first time an English-speaking audience can appreciate the true
    nature of this famous chess book.

This is the one.

But it is a work book, not one for glancing through.
    The player must be prepared to put some time in studying it and playing
    over the games and examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree