1. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:27
    I think all of the books mentioned here has a chance because all of them obviously changed someones perspective of chess, or improved them in some other way. I ordered How To Reassess Chess yesterday and intend to buy Seirawan's books after I finished it and the workbook.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:47
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    yes but remeber the intro to reasess your chess. read it and you won't get immediate results but after a while when your tactics get better and you get better at using the material in the book you will eventually get better than the yasser reader will ever get unless he reads this book to. My point is that you have to create a good foundation to get past the expert point in chess.
    How do you tactics get better?

What, what... Did I hear you say Winning Chess Tactics?

How do you get better at using the material in the book?

Read simpler books first. O yes, case closed!
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:49
    Originally posted by RahimK
    How do you tactics get better?

What, what... Did I hear you say Winning Chess Tactics?

How do you get better at using the material in the book?

Read simpler books first. O yes, case closed!
    yes I already said that winning chess books are great and agreed with you about that but these books go hand in hand.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 22:121 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    yes I already said that winning chess books are great and agreed with you about that but these books go hand in hand.
    No you didn't.

There are so many books which have to be read before Reasses you chess.

There is no point in teaching someone something way beyond him when he doesn't even understand the simple things.

Why teach a math student in grade 6 grade 9 math when you can teach him 7 or 8? Because it give him a good foundation? Ha, no way dude.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 22:31
    The second mistake we make is in studying the wrong things, or at least material that's inappropriate to our level. You've got to have a good understanding of the basics before you move on to more advanced concepts. It's a poor use of study time to try to work your way through an advanced monograph on the Najdorf if you haven't learned the basic theory of opening play first, or to try to read the Dvoretsky / Yusupov books if you haven't learned basic tactics, strategy, and endings first. There's a reason you take General Chemistry 101 before you take Physical Chemistry 417! The same thing applies in chess. Learning the basics first gives you a framework around which you can integrate all your future chess knowledge.

Can't put it better then that.

Funny how all these books are part of his series: Winning Chess Tactics, Winning Chess strategy, Winning chess Endings etc...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree