1. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 01:36
    The thing about Silman is that he deliberately left out the KvsKBN ending, and in my opinion after reading his commentary about it, I think he did it to make a point.

That's the two sides of Silman. In the negative, as seen with the KvsKBN ending, he seems to come off with a 'Do you want to learn some chess or do you want to have fun?" attitude. In the positive, he's articulate and a great teacher. Everything said, he's my favourite chess writer. "The Amateurs Mind" is one of my chess bibles and from my first impressions of this endgame book, I think it wil become one also.
  2. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 01:52
    Originally posted by bosintang
    The thing about Silman is that he deliberately left out the KvsKBN ending, and in my opinion after reading his commentary about it, I think he did it to make a point.

That's the two sides of Silman. In the negative, as seen with the KvsKBN ending, he seems to come off with a 'Do you want to learn some chess or do you want to have fun?" attitude ...[text shortened]... ibles and from my first impressions of this endgame book, I think it wil become one also.
    I agree about Silman's work as I'm just starting the Amateurs Mind and I'm impressed so far. But he could have made his point about the KBN issue...and still included it. The counterpoint to his argument is that this ending displays a very elegant mating net and is a fine lesson in piece co-ordination. But anyway...it's no biggie and the endings book is still very good value.
  3. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 04:191 edit
    Im personally happy he left out B+N+K VS. K as I want to work about as little as possible and Im not going to learn something so tedious if it never shows up!

EDIT. And its not like I dont have about 10 other endgame books that have it in there.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 05:49
    Agh, I was at Borders the day after Christmas and almost bought Silman's...but decided to wait. Now I really want it..maybe I'll go pick it up tomorrow.
  5. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 05:58
    If you can find it, I would recommend I.A. Horowitz's "How to Win in the Chess Endings". I have the fourth printing from 1974. Back then it only cost $2.95.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree