1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 22:09
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    If your goal is to get decisive games and you are 1700ish

1) Don't get fixated on openings, just avoid completely symmetrical positions. Look for opportunities to play Knight vs Bishop, minority pawn play etc.

2) Don't accept a draw, don't offer a draw. Play until naked kings.
    If I could add to this, studying endings teaches you how to win won games.

If you can see in the middlegame that you can get to a won endgame, then the game is already decisive.

You just have to finish, which is why you should study endings.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 22:21
    Originally posted by RamP
    I have a tournament coming up and need advice so that I can get a decisive result in all the games I play (Of course, I am playing to win ๐Ÿ˜›).

1. I need an opening (like Latvian Gambit) so that the game gets into high gear from the beginning itself and doesn't end up as a draw.
    2. I am a big fan of Latvian Gambit. Any Pros and Cons while playing this white/black?

Thanks in advance.
    This may sound simplistic, but why don't you play the opening(s) you know best, and realize most games are won in the middle and endgames๐Ÿ˜
  3. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 00:161 edit
    If you are 1700-1800 on fics I would imagine it would be difficult to have a draw if you simply keep playing.

Isn`t drawing a game a bit like getting struck by lightning it could happen but seems like if one plays on its awfully unlikely.

I think drawing games isnt very related to opening but way more related to rating.

Gms draw lots of games.

Average players nearly never draw except the one in a million miracle or those earthlings who agree to a draw since they would rather go eat than continue playing.
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '11
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 06:06
    @Greenpawn, Thanks for your advice. I am playing a lot of blitz here and have been analyzing all my games.

I keep overlooking some good opportunities.

@wormwood ๐Ÿ™‚ Will keep your words in mind. I am focusing on my middle game now.

Thanks to all for the kind advice ๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 13:29
    Originally posted by wormwood
    drawish, safe play forces boring draws.

fearless, active risk taking forces decisive games.

nothing to do with the openings.
    Relatively safe play doesn't necessarily force boring draws. Building on small positional advantages in a patient manner is often enough for the win, particularly in the end game.

The name Tigran Petrosian springs to mind. From wikipedia:

"Petrosian was a conservative, cautious, and highly defensive chess player who was strongly influenced by Nimzowitsch's idea of prophylaxis. He made more effort to prevent his opponent's offensive capabilities than he did to make use of his own. He very rarely went on the offensive unless he felt his position was completely secure.[4] He usually won by playing consistently until his aggressive opponent made a mistake, securing the win by capitalizing upon this mistake without revealing any weaknesses of his own."
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 13:40
    Originally posted by obsesschess
    Relatively safe play doesn't necessarily force boring draws. Building on small positional advantages in a patient manner is often enough for the win, particularly in the end game.

The name Tigran Petrosian springs to mind. From wikipedia:

"Petrosian was a conservative, cautious, and highly defensive chess player who was strongly influenced by Nimzo ...[text shortened]... ing the win by capitalizing upon this mistake without revealing any weaknesses of his own."
    petrosian & kramnik, two of the most drawish players ever.
  7. on your backrank!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 13:46
    petrosian & kramnik - also two of the strongest players ever
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 13:48
    Originally posted by obsesschess

"Petrosian was a conservative, cautious, and highly defensive chess player who was strongly influenced by Nimzowitsch's idea of prophylaxis. He made more effort to prevent his opponent's offensive capabilities than he did to make use of his own. He very rarely went on the offensive unless he felt his position was completely secure.[4] He usually won by ...[text shortened]... ring the win by capitalizing upon this mistake without revealing any weaknesses of his own."
    you rather conveniently snipped off the end of your wiki quote there. here's how it went on:

"He usually won by playing consistently until his aggressive opponent made a mistake, securing the win by capitalizing upon this mistake without revealing any weaknesses of his own. This style of play often lead to draws, especially against other players who preferred to counterattack."
  9. on your backrank!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 13:58
    petrosians chess was like a soccer team who defends with 10 men and hopes for a single counter attack to decide the game for them. if they don't succeed theyre happy with a 0-0
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:50
    Originally posted by watchyourbackrank
    petrosian & kramnik - also two of the strongest players ever
    true, but their strength isn't due to their 'drawish' style. there are loads of equally strong players with wildly differing styles, from dead solid petrosian to the crazy chaos of tal.
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:51
    It's easy to criticize Petrosian from the armchair, but I think I would play conservative chess if I had the Soviet machine on my back. See Taimanov and Spassky as examples of what happened to losers.

Kramnik has no excuse. He lacks the willingness to risk unclear positions unless he is forced to do so.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 16:07
    It's easy to criticize Petrosian from the armchair, but I think I would play conservative chess if I had the Soviet machine on my back. See Taimanov and Spassky as examples of what happened to losers.

Kramnik has no excuse. He lacks the willingness to risk unclear positions unless he is forced to do so.
    i would actually like to see Petrosians game percentage of draws, in comparison to other Masters at the time. I doubt he really did draw more games than anyone else, but I stand to be corrected.
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 16:08
    Well consider that he drew with his comrades on a regular basis....
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 16:14
    Well consider that he drew with his comrades on a regular basis....
    yes but consider his over all percentage. I have read his biography by Vasiliev in which he quotes the statistics, but i cannot locate them at present. What was surprising was that Petrosian did not have a greater drawing percentage, over all, than any of his contemporaries if my memory serves me correct.
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 16:18
    In my database I have 1420 draws which makes up about 48% of his games.

Tal in my db had a 39%
    Botvinnik had a 34%

Kramnik had a 49%

So most likely Tigran's draw rate was high for the era but more normal for modern Super GM chess of today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree