1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 16:27
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It's easy to criticize Petrosian from the armchair, but I think I would play conservative chess if I had the Soviet machine on my back. See Taimanov and Spassky as examples of what happened to losers.

Kramnik has no excuse. He lacks the willingness to risk unclear positions unless he is forced to do so.
    I'd like to point out that saying someone's solid/conservative/drawish, isn't critique. it doesn't make them bad players, nor good ones. it's just a style which they for some reason or another felt like their own.

and boring, perhaps. but decisive, no.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:041 edit
    Petrosian

Number of games in database: 1,941
    Years covered: 1942 to 1984
    Highest rating achieved in database: 2645
    Overall record: +698 -159 =1072 (64.0% )*

* Overall winning percentage = (wins+draws/2) / total games
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:13
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I'd like to point out that saying someone's solid/conservative/drawish, isn't critique. it doesn't make them bad players, nor good ones. it's just a style which they for some reason or another felt like their own.

and boring, perhaps. but decisive, no.
    I want it on record that WW just defended Kramnik!

I agree with your post, despite the effect it had on half a decade of chess. Kramnik style chess hardly lines up sponsors. Meanwhile Shirov, now past his prime, is still a regular at top events.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:152 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Petrosian

Retracted, I found some dupes.
  5. gumtree
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:191 edit
    I thought I'd have a scrabble through my gigantinormous 5 000 000 game database (most are crap but the good ones are there too) and see how various players compare with Petrosian.

Petrosian himself comes out at 52% so he did draw rather a lot of games. Kramnik also has 52%, so those two manage to draw the drawing game. This is not the highest draw percentage though, that honour goes to Spassky with 57%, rather a shock considering he played King's Gambit.

At the lower end of the scale we have Karpov on 44%, Tal on 43%, Botvinnik on 42% and Korchnoi on 41%. Kasparov comes in at 37% but lowest of the low is one Robert James Fischer who only drew 30% of his games, although he did quit while he was ahead.

Among the modern bunch I have already noted Kramnik's dismal 52%, Anand draws 48%, Topalov draws 43% and Carlsen 41%.
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:27
    Petrosian

All that says is Petrosian won more than he lost, which goes without saying considering he was world champion for a while. If you work out the percentage of draws out of the total games played your figures give a shocking 55% of the games he played were drawn!
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:31
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I want it on record that WW just defended Kramnik!
    and I'll deny it ever happened 'til the day I die! 😀
  8. on your backrank!
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 18:35
    true, but their strength isn't due to their 'drawish' style. there are loads of equally strong players with wildly differing styles, from dead solid petrosian to the crazy chaos of tal.
    players at all levels choose a style of play with which they feel comfortable. so perhaps it is in fact due to their styles that Petrosian and Kramnik were as good as they were, in Kramniks case is.
    I'm sure Tal would not have been as successful had he played Petrosian style chess all through his career. And the opposite would be equally true
  9. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 11:57
    All interesting analysis. Petrosian got the "Iron Tigran" nickname because of his solid play. I still don't think it leads to boring draws. Draws yes, but boring no.

Check out Tal v Petrosian games on-line: the crazy, vengeful attacks of Tal versus the mr solid of defence in Petrosian. Interesting match up. Ironically, the ledger was in Petrosian's favour, albeit every slightly.

Tigran Vartanovich Petrosian beat Mikhail Tal 6 to 5, with 38 draws.

So, my earlier point was there is nothing wrong with slowly strangling the opponent positionally, or waiting for good counter attacking chances, without having to put in too much risk if that is the preferred playing style. He was no slouch tactically also when he needed to be - like all people who have reached the top.

I think it really depends on your outlook on chess. So many people want to win with brilliant tactics and sacrificial attacks, but slow and steady often wins the race with small material and other advantages, particularly at the amateur level.

Here are a couple of nice quotes regarding his play:

# It is to Petrosian's advantage that his opponents never know when he is suddenly going to play like Mikhail Tal. - Boris Spassky
    # He [Petrosian] has an incredible tactical view, and a wonderful sense of the danger... No matter how much you think deep... He will "smell" any kind of danger 20 moves before! - Robert Fischer
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 14:47
    After reading his biography, it is clear that Petrosian valued above all else, principles established by Nimzovich, that of over protection of important strategic points and prophylaxis. This makes for a rather interesting style of chess, no way deviod of beauty.
  11. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 23:40
    I guess it depends on your outlook on life. The likes of Shirov and Short loose to IMs and beat "SuperGMs" the next day.

I bet Kramnik hasn't lost to an IM since he was 16.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 00:01
    After reading his biography, it is clear that Petrosian valued above all else, principles established by Nimzovich, that of over protection of important strategic points and prophylaxis. This makes for a rather interesting style of chess, no way deviod of beauty.
    I would be happy with a 2645 rating! Wouldn't care what people said about boring!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 14:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I would be happy with a 2645 rating! Wouldn't care what people said about boring!
    Its only boring for those who fail to see and appreciate what is happening. I mean who likes to listen to a lecture that is like so way above our heads? Yet for those who are initiated into the subtle delicacies, it brings wonder. Fischer himself comments in My 60 memorable games that he was astounded at Petrosians ability to gradually improve his position. He of course knew and understood what was happening. One must appreciate that there are levels of understanding, in all things, whether its chess, art, literature, music, whatever.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 15:13
    Its only boring for those who fail to see and appreciate what is happening. I mean who likes to listen to a lecture that is like so way above our heads? Yet for those who are initiated into the subtle delicacies, it brings wonder. ...
    nah, it's just boring. which, again, doesn't mean it's not Good. but it IS boring.

why play chess if it's boring. I mean, really. what a pointless waste of time.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 16:102 edits
    nah, it's just boring. which, again, doesn't mean it's not Good. but it IS boring.

why play chess if it's boring. I mean, really. what a pointless waste of time.
    Sigh, have i not torn the words from the very depth of my being, to lay them before
    as beacons in a misty land! How how the gods must curse me for having battled
    against ignorance my entire life! Here is possibly my favourite Petrosian game, a
    masterpiece of strategy! and as enthralling in its conceptual awareness as its
    ease of execution!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree