1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 20:59
    can anyone tell me which is the best travel chess computer available in market?
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 21:25
    Originally posted by karlpartik
    Cellphone and a chess program installed on it. No hassle and man are those things strong!

Before a Super-Gm tournament one of the GM's was playing on his cell phone and then other Gm started laughing so he said here you try and that gm only drew the phone and he was a strong Gm 2500+ easily.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 21:50
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Cellphone and a chess program installed on it. No hassle and man are those things strong!

Before a Super-Gm tournament one of the GM's was playing on his cell phone and then other Gm started laughing so he said here you try and that gm only drew the phone and he was a strong Gm 2500+ easily.
    Which program? I have one, and I can beat it..
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 00:06
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Which program? I have one, and I can beat it..
    No sure but I think it was one of the chessbase versions.

They also have pocket fritz and other similar things but those aren't for cell-phone I think.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 00:142 edits
    Its hard to answer that question for you because you have played no games yet, I nor nobody else here can tell if you are a 1,000 or a 2,000 player till you get some games under your belt. Any normal player, say 1500 or so can get a good game from any of the 30 dollar variety stand alone sets, they play a lot stronger than they used to, the only thing about them is if you give them the same opening, they tend to play the same position over and over so if you find a winning line, you can bust the game every time. Here is a site that sells a bunch for under a hundred bucks, some very strong.
    http://www.chesscentral.com/computer-chess/computer_chess.htm
    The one thing I learned about the handheld sets, get an LCD screen. That way you have no stupid pieces to lose! The better ones have touch sensitive screen you just move with the pointer. No pieces to lose thats the key!
  6. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 03:241 edit
    I have Open Chess installed on my Palm, and I added an opening book(ECO), it has a teaching mode(for openings), and its really strong(for me), I play in level 3(it has 9) and I have to really put attention to the game to win.
  7. Standard memberEnigmaticCam
    Chess n00b
    Cali
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 03:25
    I have Chessmaster installed on my phone, but the strongest level isn't that strong.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 05:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 21:281 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Its hard to answer that question for you because you have played no games yet, I nor nobody else here can tell if you are a 1,000 or a 2,000 player till you get some games under your belt. Any normal player, say 1500 or so can get a good game from any of the 30 dollar variety stand alone sets, they play a lot stronger than they used to, the only thing about ...[text shortened]... nes have touch sensitive screen you just move with the pointer. No pieces to lose thats the key!
    Yeah, I bought that Excalibur e-chess & checkers, and I was beating it every time on the 72nd level. It says it plays at a 1700 strength - estimated of course. That's bull! I am 1600-1700, and I destroy that e-chess from Radioshack every time. If someone has a chess rating of under 1500, I suggest buying the e-chess & checkers from Radioshack. But, if you're 1500 USCF or above, I say get the Mephisto that's Kasparov endorsed. Plenty of levels, and you don't get the same position every time against a winning line that goes bust! You know when the computer plays the same line over and over. But, I guess that's why the Radioshack toy is $30 anyway, huh? You get what you pay for. Oh, and Mephisto is clearly expert strength - solid USCF expert power.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree