Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 22 May '08 14:21
    My next goal is to get to 1300. What is the best way?
  2. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    22 May '08 14:35
    Originally posted by CreepingDeath
    My next goal is to get to 1300. What is the best way?
    Copying ans pasting what I already said on another thread:

    I think that for the time being you could get by with some opening principles type of play and studying tactics. One other thing that you could do is to look for some opening moves on the internet: http://www.chesslive.de/ but I don't think that memorising or playing moves that you don't understand right away is very good for your game. Other players here, higher rated than I am will tell you different and given that they are higher rated than me they obviously know things I don't know.

    But what really you can't be without if you want to get better at chess is knowing tactics : http://www.chesstactics.org/ this site is one of the bests I know of in the department of explaining tactics. You should first learn the tactical motifs, then learn to recognise them in games and after try to force them into your games.

    One other thing that you should think about is to join Personal Chess Training. This is a helping experience that is ongoing on this site and is really helping a lot of people.

    Nice chess!

    Edit: some more links
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman53.pdf
    http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_strategy/chess_strategy.htm

    Thread 93930

    http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm#Novice%20Nook In it you'll find lots of good articles. I'd reccomend:
    The Fundamental Theorem of Safety and Activity
    Chess Principles and Common Sense
    Activity is the Real Goal
    The Principle of Tactical Dominance
    Reviewing Chess Games
    Improving Analysis Skills
    Learning Opening Lines & Ideas
    Evaluation Criteria
    Break Moves: Opening Lines to Increase Mobility
    Analysis and Evaluation
  3. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    22 May '08 14:40
    Originally posted by CreepingDeath
    My next goal is to get to 1300. What is the best way?
    1. Blunder check before every move. Look for possible checks, double attacks, knight forks, skewers, piece hanging before every move.

    2. Start using opening databases like http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html and try to memorize and understand the variations you pick.

    That alone is enough to break 1300 by far if you are already close.

    until 1700 or so games can are most often lost by simple blunders. Do not do them !
  4. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    22 May '08 14:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Copying ans pasting what I already said on another thread:

    I think that for the time being you could get by with some opening principles type of play and studying tactics. One other thing that you could do is to look for some opening moves on the internet: http://www.chesslive.de/ but I don't think that memorising or playing moves that you don't unde luation Criteria
    Break Moves: Opening Lines to Increase Mobility
    Analysis and Evaluation
    Adam advice is nicer and wider than mine but depends on your motivation. If your goal is just 1300 then my advice is more than enough. If you wish to improve dramatically, well, that is whole another story so his advice is more appropriate.


    For Adam : Heh, do not waste time at forums, do a move already
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    22 May '08 15:21
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Adam advice is nicer and wider than mine but depends on your motivation. If your goal is just 1300 then my advice is more than enough. If you wish to improve dramatically, well, that is whole another story so his advice is more appropriate.


    For Adam : Heh, do not waste time at forums, do a move already
    Ah ! I'm too scared to do a move... I'm feeling I'll get my butt kicked... :'(
  6. 22 May '08 16:42
    Yes, Adam is spot on. I think it should be tactics till 1900-2000.
    I was a 1500 player and Intensive tactics training helped me get to 1800-1900.