1. Upstate NY
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 02:01
    Hi everyone,

Which do you think is the best way to learn tactics: a tactics trainer such as CT-ART or the book approach, e.g. Polgar's volume of problems?

Different views and takes would be appreciated. I've heard arguments in favor of both and want to decide what the most efficient way would be. Thanks.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 02:03
    Originally posted by Ristar
    Hi everyone,

Which do you think is the best way to learn tactics: a tactics trainer such as CT-ART or the book approach, e.g. Polgar's volume of problems?

Different views and takes would be appreciated. I've heard arguments in favor of both and want to decide what the most efficient way would be. Thanks.
    I prefer books. They are portable. Although computer tactics give you detailed information.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 02:40
    so many either/or questions

train tactically any way that you can, and often:

checkmate problems, such as in Polgar's mammoth book; thematic exercises (pins, forks, discovered attacks), such as in Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Combinations and Sacrifices; advanced tactics, such as in Dvoretsky's School of Chess Tactics and Averbakh's Chess Tactics for Advanced Players; software, such as CT-Art, tactics training CDs from ChessBase, and Kaber's Exercises (free download from the web that works in ChessBase Light; and play blitz and rapid games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree