1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 13:06
    I read that the super GM Bilbao tournament is using the same win-loss-draw scoring system as here at RHP. This is an interesting way to incite fighting chess.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 14:29
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    I read that the super GM Bilbao tournament is using the same win-loss-draw scoring system as here at RHP. This is an interesting way to incite fighting chess.
    You mean, that a win gives 3 points, and a draw only gives one point?
    I don't like 'gentlemen's draws'. So if you lose a little for every draw, then I think this is a good idea.

The audience like fighters games. Too many draws loses audience. Chess needs audience.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 14:42
    whay it is called Bilbao Grand Slem ? I do not think this is included in those Slems with points for the challenger of the World Champion...
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 14:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You mean, that a win gives 3 points, and a draw only gives one point?
    I don't like 'gentlemen's draws'. So if you lose a little for every draw, then I think this is a good idea.

The audience like fighters games. Too many draws loses audience. Chess needs audience.
    The only problem I see with this scoring method is that if the players play each other more than once (like a double round robin), two cheaters could collude and agree to each win one game out of two when playing each other, thereby avoiding possible draws and giving themselves an advantage. Of course, this assumes that there's honor among thieves. Also, if there's only one cheater in the tournament, then cheating isn't possible using this idea. (BTW, I don't think that there are two cheaters in this tournament. Possibly one, but definitely not two. 😉 )
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 16:00
    Originally posted by vipiu
    whay it is called Bilbao Grand Slem ? I do not think this is included in those Slems with points for the challenger of the World Champion...
    You're right. The grand slam is a different series of tournaments to the FIDE Grand Prix.

btw: the 3 points for a win system was proposed (most ardently) by Mike Basman in the late 80s/early 90s. I believe he set up his series of junior tournaments with that scoring system many years ago too.
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 17:09
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    You're right. The grand slam is a different series of tournaments to the FIDE Grand Prix.

btw: the 3 points for a win system was proposed (most ardently) by Mike Basman in the late 80s/early 90s. I believe he set up his series of junior tournaments with that scoring system many years ago too.
    so why they call it Grand Slem ?
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 18:031 edit
    it seems the rules also force them to play the draws down to kings? I kinda like it. seeing how the draw actually happens in a couple of minutes, which for me at least is often a bit vague.
  8. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:13
    Some nice games first round, I don't think Ivanchuk ofthen uses the Marshall so that may of been a surprize to Anand. But why does he always get into time trouble!

In the other games I thought white stood better in both but couldn't convert to the points.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:35
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    In the other games I thought white stood better in both but couldn't convert to the points.
    "Couldn't convert the points" doesn't quite convey that Carlsen won with black. 🙂
  10. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:411 edit
    Did he? I thought I saw a draw?

I see you are correct, my mistake and anand is still playing too! lol.

I swear they put up 1/2 - 1/2 at one stage on all the games!
  11. In the ****
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "Couldn't convert the points" doesn't quite convey that Carlsen won with black. 🙂
    'Couldn't convert to the points'

Fixed
  12. The sky
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:44
    Originally posted by Rene-Claude
    'Couldn't convert to the points'

Fixed
    Oops, yes, thanks.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:451 edit

Someone in a Norwegian chess forum said that, too. I was watching the games on Playchess, and it never showed as a draw there.

Edit: Anand - Ivanchuk 1/2 - 1/2. Ivanchuk had 22 seconds left!
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:47

anand just got saved by the bell and drew. yet another time management mishap for chuckie...
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 18:111 edit
    Two games were saved by witty perpetuals today, one by Carlsen and the other by Topalov.
    the Ivanchuk-Carlsen game was very tactical:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree