Moves
    03 Sep '08 18:42
    Impressive game - I couldn't even evaluate it. 😉
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 15:06
    topalov vs. carlsen in a minute, should be exciting!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 18:282 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    topalov vs. carlsen in a minute, should be exciting!
    carslsen sacrificed a pawn in the early middlegame, but after a long variation ended up in the defending side of a drawish endgame, and I thought it would be draw soon but the kid keeps giving pawns even in the endgame:

Carlsen played 39.Ke5 allowing ...Ng6+ fork, 40.Kd6 Nxf4 41.Nc5 b4 42.h4

I really have no idea what's going on.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:10
    Topalov beat Anand in 25 moves today! 😲
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Topalov beat Anand in 25 moves today! 😲
    Yes. I think Anand's preparation was probably faulty and he was just one tempo too late in the position:

Anand has just played ...Na6 to aiming for ...Nc7 to cover the d5 pawn. But topalov made the game winning move (I suppose):

White to move.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:08
    And Magnus won, too! 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:12
    And Magnus won, too! 🙂
    it was thrilling!
  8. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:15
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    it was thrilling!
    It was quite a race! Time left - Carlsen 17 seconds, Radjabov 29 seconds. And still three moves to the time break!
  9. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 20:05
    And Magnus won, too! 🙂
    And this has brought him to the first spot in the live rating list for the first time! http://chess.liverating.org/
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:07
    Of the numerous suggestions that I've seen to reduce the number of draws in tournaments, the one that made the most sense and seemed the fairest was to award White 0.4 and Black 0.6 tournament points when a draw occurs.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:46
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    Of the numerous suggestions that I've seen to reduce the number of draws in tournaments, the one that made the most sense and seemed the fairest was to award White 0.4 and Black 0.6 tournament points when a draw occurs.
    I don't think that would be fair, and it seems it would encourage the black side even more for simply trying to draw as soon as possible, which is already what's going on.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:03
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I don't think that would be fair, and it seems it would encourage the black side even more for simply trying to draw as soon as possible, which is already what's going on.
    The effect of the reduced incentive for White to draw would outweigh the effect of the increased incentive for Black to draw. The percentage of short draws would be significantly reduced and the overall percentage of draws would be moderately reduced. Furthermore, it would be completely fair for the typical all GM RR tournament where each player plays the same number of games with each color.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:09
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    The effect of the reduced incentive for White to draw would outweigh the effect of the increased incentive for Black to draw. The percentage of short draws would be significantly reduced and the overall percentage of draws would be moderately reduced. Furthermore, it would be completely fair for the typical all GM RR tournament where each player plays the same number of games with each color.
    hmm..
  14. Standard membermbakunin
    Radio Gnome
    Planet Gong
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 20:42
    And this has brought him to the first spot in the live rating list for the first time! http://chess.liverating.org/
    hurra hurra hurra! go magnus!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree