1. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 22:37
    Supposedly the most influential chessbook in print for over a hundred years, the last edition was printed in 1918 or so, edited by Schlechter, with contributions by Tarrasch,Spielman, Teichman, and a few other greats of the era. It was over a thousand pages and was considered the chess players bible before ECO, etc., came along.
    Has anybody ever seen this book? I'd love to have a copy, and I can't believe that no one has ever brought out a new edition.
  2. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 22:50
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Supposedly the most influential chessbook in print for over a hundred years, the last edition was printed in 1918 or so, edited by Schlechter, with contributions by Tarrasch,Spielman, Teichman, and a few other greats of the era. It was over a thousand pages and was considered the chess players bible before ECO, etc., came along.
    Has anybody ever seen th ...[text shortened]... I'd love to have a copy, and I can't believe that no one has ever brought out a new edition.
    Never heard of this book. Im assuming it must be a rare book, and could cost serious $$ as only collectors will have it
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 23:13
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Has anybody ever seen th ...[text shortened]... I'd love to have a copy, and I can't believe that no one has ever brought out a new edition.
    I had heard of it, but I'd imagine the material inside was updated, and compiled into other, newer books.
  4. Big D
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:35
    Charousek was reputed to have copied this book in longhand. I've never seen it, but GM Larry Evans once said that it contains many exciting open game variations that haven't seen daylight in decades. You can expect to pay upwards of $150 for a copy, depending on condition.
  5. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 18:27
    a search on the web turned up a couple of hits by chess booksellers. so it is not rare as it is available for purchase price under $100
  6. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 19:45
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    a search on the web turned up a couple of hits by chess booksellers. so it is not rare as it is available for purchase price under $100
    Where'd ya find that, Tony? I've looked and can't locate one for sale. Seems like the book would be a joy to own and maybe even a good investment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree